Custom Controllers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    588

    Default Custom Controllers

    So, i am currently studying Audio Systems at university - a large portion of which concerns audio electronics.
    I will be building myself a custom midi controller soon, not too sure whether i will be trying a cheap option with a hid device or go for a midi brain.

    Once i have a few good builds behind me (Have just finished putting together a distortion pedal with an added tone control circuit) i was thinking of starting a small business doing custom jobs for people who want the functionality of a customised inteface, but don't have the time/expertise to build them themselves.

    I have access to full workshops and the facilities to print my own PCBs, i was thinking of building a simple website whereby people can design their own controller with a simple drag & drop system of designing the layout (Ie. images of faders, knobs , buttons that can be placed anywhere on a chozen size and colour of faceplate), choice of in/outs and a way to label what functions they desire from each component. Then it would be built to their exact specifications, consulting them with images & info through emails at every stage of construction.

    It's all a thought right now, and obviously since i am only one man with a limited amount of time i would be doing only one or two orders at one given time it won't exactly be a huge thing, but i think i may be able to earn a few hundred a month if i devote my days off to it.

    So i was wondering, do you think i would be able to make it work, and would you use this service if available? I realise most people on Djtt prefer to DIY, as do i, but i'm sure there are people who would be interested and i haven't seen anything else like it.

    I might also look into some sort of custom software/hardware combo for production, once i'm proficient in Max and can knock up some decent VSTs.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxted View Post
    So, i am currently studying Audio Systems at university - a large portion of which concerns audio electronics.
    I will be building myself a custom midi controller soon, not too sure whether i will be trying a cheap option with a hid device or go for a midi brain.

    Once i have a few good builds behind me (Have just finished putting together a distortion pedal with an added tone control circuit) i was thinking of starting a small business doing custom jobs for people who want the functionality of a customised inteface, but don't have the time/expertise to build them themselves.

    I have access to full workshops and the facilities to print my own PCBs, i was thinking of building a simple website whereby people can design their own controller with a simple drag & drop system of designing the layout (Ie. images of faders, knobs , buttons that can be placed anywhere on a chozen size and colour of faceplate), choice of in/outs and a way to label what functions they desire from each component. Then it would be built to their exact specifications, consulting them with images & info through emails at every stage of construction.

    It's all a thought right now, and obviously since i am only one man with a limited amount of time i would be doing only one or two orders at one given time it won't exactly be a huge thing, but i think i may be able to earn a few hundred a month if i devote my days off to it.

    So i was wondering, do you think i would be able to make it work, and would you use this service if available? I realise most people on Djtt prefer to DIY, as do i, but i'm sure there are people who would be interested and i haven't seen anything else like it.

    I might also look into some sort of custom software/hardware combo for production, once i'm proficient in Max and can knock up some decent VSTs.
    I think you have a great concept but like this may be the wrong place to ask cause what you are almost doing is trying to out do the midi fighter. Now Im not sayings its not a good idea. What im saying is your asking on a website that was started by guys that basically do the same thing...

    Honestly though. I think being a parts supplier and having the concepts in instructions possibly developing mod kits for midi fighters is an idea to think about.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

  3. #3
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    588

    Default

    I understand completely how that could be true, but i don't intend it to be anywhere near the level whereby it could be competing with DJTT, and i also intend it to be along the analogue side of things rather than the buttons of the midifighter, i always need more faders/pots and i think other people do aswell.

    Also it will be very local to begin with, and never outside the UK. I'm just a poor student i'm not looking to be a major suplier, but mainly looking to do mods for London based DJs and people i can deal with on a 1-2-1 basis.

    It's like comparing a small company building kit cars to a large supplier of reliable base model cars - neither out does the other, they both offer different benefits.

    Thanks for your input though, and i do agree insofar as i would not be advertising or working from this website, which would be disrespectful in light of your point.

  4. #4
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,448

    Default

    The decision to choose either HID or MIDI is probably pretty easy. Going HID means that you're either going to have to reverse engineer someone else's device in order to emulate it (since developers have to "hard code" support for HID devices into their software, and they're probably not going to spend the money or resources supporting your DIY hardware), or rely on some kind of HID to MIDI translation layer. But if that's the case, why go HID in the first place?

    If you go MIDI, you are instantly compatible with every piece of DJ software I know of.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxted View Post
    I understand completely how that could be true, but i don't intend it to be anywhere near the level whereby it could be competing with DJTT, and i also intend it to be along the analogue side of things rather than the buttons of the midifighter, i always need more faders/pots and i think other people do aswell.

    Also it will be very local to begin with, and never outside the UK. I'm just a poor student i'm not looking to be a major suplier, but mainly looking to do mods for London based DJs and people i can deal with on a 1-2-1 basis.

    It's like comparing a small company building kit cars to a large supplier of reliable base model cars - neither out does the other, they both offer different benefits.

    Thanks for your input though, and i do agree insofar as i would not be advertising or working from this website, which would be disrespectful in light of your point.
    but yeah... im all down for doing that cause i am currently looking for a controller layout for my mixer controller. 3 level eq's/ each will have a kill. for 2 channel controller, a cross fader, 2 x line faders. 2 shorter super faders and 5 arcade buttons per side. any help for this would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

  6. #6
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Will be after christmas time when i start doing something about it, might build some custom stuff for friends first, then work on a website and order process.

    As far as a layout goes i think the only important thing is what you are used to a feel comfortable with, and how it relates to the feedback you are getting from the screen. Thats why i really like the idea of pure customs as it can help you be intuitive with your hardware.

  7. #7
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Desert Hot Springs, CA
    Posts
    763

    Default

    dude. when orders for custom midi fighters were being taken, one of ean's designs came to around $400..
    i dont have that kind of cash.
    i dont think you're competing with the midifighter cuz its a very simple and easy to use design; you're products would be specifically built controllers.

    I would DEFINITELY want to purchase something if it were in my price range.

    Do you know how difficult it is to find a controller that has what you want, nothing more and nothing less?? very difficult at times.
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

  8. #8
    DJTT Ninja Mod tekki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Afterhour Ali's lap
    Posts
    11,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    The decision to choose either HID or MIDI is probably pretty easy. Going HID means that you're either going to have to reverse engineer someone else's device in order to emulate it (since developers have to "hard code" support for HID devices into their software, and they're probably not going to spend the money or resources supporting your DIY hardware), or rely on some kind of HID to MIDI translation layer. But if that's the case, why go HID in the first place?

    If you go MIDI, you are instantly compatible with every piece of DJ software I know of.
    Take this to heart bro, one of the best advise around!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

  9. #9
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    Take this to heart bro, one of the best advise around!
    Definitely would use midi for anything i made to order, that goes without saying. I meant i might use HID for my own little project to begin with, just rip up a USB gamepad - depends on the cash i have available.

  10. #10
    DJTT Ninja Mod tekki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Afterhour Ali's lap
    Posts
    11,004

    Default

    OKee, here's hoping all go well bro'!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •