Good midi keyboard for the buck?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Good midi keyboard for the buck?

Hey all!

I just wanted to check if anyone here knows of any good and cheap(100-200 euros is my budget) midi keyboards?

I am going to use it mainly for some amateur producing, control Ableton togheter with my Akai MPD 24, and maybe also some binds for Traktor Pro if I sometime run out of binds on my xponent .

Right now I am leaning towards the M-audio Oxygen 8 49, I have read alot of good things about the oxygen series, but maybe there is something with more suitable controls for ableton?

Grateful for any answers !
    Last edited by minguzz; 12-07-2008 at 05:52 PM.

I would probably go for the M-Audio Axiom25. You can find that one for 155 euros on the internet.

In my opinion it's the most bang for buck in this segment.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Wizard

for the price I agree about the axiom.

I notice you suggested the oxygen 8 49 for yourself.
    I'd like to note that the axiom 37 has an additional 8 sliders that the axiom 25 does not.
    you also stated that you have an mpd24, which suggests that the drum pads on the axiom are not a real selling point.
    the difference that the 37 would offer from the o8 49 is the additional sliders and also that it has rotary encoders in place of potentiometers.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Sheph View Post

I'd like to note that the axiom 37 has an additional 8 sliders that the axiom 25 does not.
    you also stated that you have an mpd24, which suggests that the drum pads on the axiom are not a real selling point.
    the difference that the 37 would offer from the o8 49 is the additional sliders and also that it has rotary encoders in place of potentiometers.
    i hate the keys they feel so cheap no pro at all but thats just my opinion:eek:

Tech Wizard

both are going to feel "cheep" IMO.
    I have a keystation PRO 88 which is fully weighted hammer action. it plays like a piano.

often I wish I had a more keyboard feeling keyboard though.
    I intend to pick up a remote SL 37 in time, but that is outside the depicted price range.

does anyone have both a remote SL and one of these M-Audio keyboards who can attest to how the keys compare?

s.

both are going to feel "cheep" IMO.
    I have a keystation PRO 88 which is fully weighted hammer action. it plays like a piano.
    Yeah for a dj-setup you really want just semi-weighted keys, even alot of electronic music producers prefer semi-weighted keys when playing synths.

Its possible to mash a semi-weighted key alot faster than a fully weighted hammer action key - which is pretty imporant for what we are doing.

LOLz... I just use my keyboard when playing synths in Ableton.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Convert

Thanks for all the answers guys!

That is true, I do not need more drumpads since I have a mpd24 wich I am experiencing some problems with though.

This is a real dilemma but I think I am going with the oxygen 49 since it has 8 faders and 8 knobs, wich I'd rather have than 8 knobs and 8 drumpads like the axiom 25. The axiom 49 is a bit out of my price range.

The oxygen 49 is quite ugly thats the downside.

Tech Convert

I just ordered the Oxygen 49, quite cheap and has 8 knobs and faders on it made me go for it.

Thanks for all the suggesstions though!

I am really psyched about trying out Ableton+T pro now!

are there any midi keyboards out there with knobs and faders and a cross fader??...cus thats what im kinda looking for..but so far all ive seen only have up faders and honestly a lack of knobs...looking for an all in one deal where i can produce and dj in ableton...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast