Ex-Serato DJ New to Traktor Scratch Pro

Unhappy Ex-Serato DJ New to Traktor Scratch Pro

Even though I'm not new to using a timecoded vinyl setup to DJ, I seem to be having some real bad issues with my new TSP. (Ok, I got the Audio 8 off of Craigslist for cheap so it's not really "new" but you get the idea.)

Situation #1:
    I'm having issues configuring the settings inside TSP to get any sound to output through the Audio8 to my mixer and out my speakers. I started tweaking the software settings (which in hindsight I shouldn't have done) hoping I could correct this issue. I noticed some drop outs (the numbers on the Audio8 on channels A + B would go red or wouldn't stay lit) at a gig last month. Now I can't get any sound at all.

When I revert my setup to my (don't laugh at me for this) old Torq Connectiv or go from my turntables straight to my mixer everything is ok. So I know the issue is with either the Audio8 or my input/output settings in TSP aren't what they should be. Do the Audio8 boxes have issues shorting out? Can I get a screenshot of the correct settings for a no-frills, no controller, simplified TSP set using vinyl control from somebody? Yes, I tried using the startup guide from NI, but it wasn't very clear to me how to configure the software settings. (SSL doesn't have such a wide range of options to tweak everything like TSP. Even as tech savvy as I consider myself to be, I'm lost and I need help. )

Situation #2:
    I thought that adding a MIDI controller or three would be a good workaround for the above issue. I was wrong again. Since my issues getting audio through the Audio8 going from being temperamental to damn near defiant, I acquired: a new Akai APC 40 (floor model w/ no instructions or software), a used Hercules MP3 e2, and a set of Dicers I had already used with Serato before my SL3 box disappeared at a gig.

I have been reading and watching one tutorial after another trying to figure why I rarely get the MIDI indicator to light up on any of the .tsi files I've loaded for any of the 3 controllers I try to use. No levels register on the internal mixer at all. (Now I know the Dicer has no sound card. I know better to expect getting audio from that directly.)

Seems no matter what I do, nothing works the way it should. Since I noticed the NI website crash on Black Friday, I didn't call their tech support yet. My DJ setup is listed below.

2 Technics 1200s, Toshiba L505 w/ i3 and 4GB RAM, Vestax PMC280, B52 Matrix 1000 speakers, 1 frustrated DJ.

I have big plans that will really expand my creativity as a turntablist if I can dive deeper into some of the advanced MIDI control + vinyl control later, but I'm having a hard enough time with the basics. Can somebody please walk me through correcting these step by step?

--DJ B-Naut || Atlanta, GA
    Electro House || Mashups || VJ

Toshiba L505 i3 8GB RAM Win 7 64bit / 2 Technics 1200 / Vestax PMC280 / Dicer / Akai APC40 / Numark NuVJ / Arkaos GrandVJ

Tech Guru

Situation #1:
    I'm having issues configuring the settings inside TSP to get any sound to output through the Audio8 to my mixer and out my speakers. I started tweaking the software settings (which in hindsight I shouldn't have done) hoping I could correct this issue. I noticed some drop outs (the numbers on the Audio8 on channels A + B would go red or wouldn't stay lit) at a gig last month. Now I can't get any sound at all.

When I revert my setup to my (don't laugh at me for this) old Torq Connectiv or go from my turntables straight to my mixer everything is ok. So I know the issue is with either the Audio8 or my input/output settings in TSP aren't what they should be. Do the Audio8 boxes have issues shorting out? Can I get a screenshot of the correct settings for a no-frills, no controller, simplified TSP set using vinyl control from somebody? Yes, I tried using the startup guide from NI, but it wasn't very clear to me how to configure the software settings. (SSL doesn't have such a wide range of options to tweak everything like TSP. Even as tech savvy as I consider myself to be, I'm lost and I need help. )

I don't have any experience with the Audio 8 or a timecode setup.

I would suggest, trail and error. Make sure all volumes are up and nothing is muted, select you driver in the preferences and and go through each channel available in the master output. Do this with all available drivers. If your using a ASIO driver, click the settings option to the right and make sure everything is configured properly. Put the latency around 50.

Is Traktor acknowledging the Audio 8? Do you get any channel options? Do you get any Driver options?

Some resource links:

http://www.activemusician.com/images...RATCH-LIVE.gif

http://www.djforums.com/forums/archi.../t-221562.html

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/8055...yl_setup_.html
    Last edited by deviantdigi; 11-27-2010 at 03:59 AM.

Definitely want this topic moved to a relevant forum.

You might want to post this on Native Instrument's site as well.

Also, include all relevant information: version of TSP, screenshots, etc. Without these it's going to be tough to help you man.

Tech Guru

run service centre and get the latest version of TSP and the audio 8 driver
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Ok, problem solved. Turns out I wasn't using the multicore cables to connect the Audio8 to my decks. Plus, a .tsi file I loaded previously somehow rearranged my in/output settings.
    --DJ B-Naut || Atlanta, GA
    Electro House || Mashups || VJ

Toshiba L505 i3 8GB RAM Win 7 64bit / 2 Technics 1200 / Vestax PMC280 / Dicer / Akai APC40 / Numark NuVJ / Arkaos GrandVJ

Quote Originally Posted by B-Naut View Post
    Ok, problem solved. Turns out I wasn't using the multicore cables to connect the Audio8 to my decks. Plus, a .tsi file I loaded previously somehow rearranged my in/output settings.
    That'll do it