Who Invented Digital Vinyl? - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    Hey Steve. I've never hidden the fact that I worked for Stanton. Most people know me and are well aware. I don't get how that somehow prohibits me from knowing what went on.
    It biases your viewpoint and that should be noted since Stanton were the first to commercially gain from the invention. It should also be clear that Stanton have a vested interest in this matter.

I find it strange as to why the rights of the N2IT patent were transferred to a holding company (N2IT Holding B.V.) led by John Acquaviva who instigated the following civil disputes and why the rights were not held directly by Stanton since it was Stanton who were the ones to launch the product and it would have been them who dealt with N2IT over the rights. It looks like N2IT Holding B.V. is a front company and I am unclear on who is pulling its strings but it seems to be plausible that it is not John Acquaviva!

Let's ignore the fact that I could make that NDA say that I invented water, and that the ONLY place that document exists is a digital copy from your own server and has no corroborating data from a non partial source.
    If your claim is that the document is a forgery then say so. It can easily be confirmed by contacting the other party!

What I don't understand is why you would attempt to shop around some IP, and then turn around and not a year later let lapse your biggest potential form of protection for that IP. You had no prior art, because you said you didn't have any prototypes. You were shopping only ONE component of modern timecode (you mention nothing of the noisemap). And you were never granted a patent for "your" idea.
    I explained my personal reasons fully in my article!

Nevermind that James Russell's paper published from 1995 outlines the same thing. Or that by the time you put your NDA in place with Roland and filed for a patent, N2IT had already shown a working system publicly and was ready to offer a fully realized product for retail (and not just an idea about one component of it).
    This is factually incorrect. All the evidence in my article proves the time-line. My Patent was filed Jan 98, N2IT wasn't even formed as a company then and James Russell's 'paper' which has never been confirmed officially is an elusive document, I see mentions that it was both first published 1996 and 1995, but there is no full document published that I can see online. If this 'evidence' was used to challenge the current patent it would fail IMO given the patent already faced a much more robust challenge by Chris Bauer who did have a working model with an SMTPE timecode and who did legally challenge it but his claim of prior art was overruled on appeal.

Since you are an authority on this and an insider at Stanton let me pose one simple question, why was the rights transferred to yet another front company (N2IT Holding B.V. - Based where?) and the legal challenges made by John Acquaviva? Does he also claim to have invented it? And how comes Stanton never got caught up in any legal disputes despite they would have been the naturally aggrieved party when the other clones arrived?

Tech Guru

It biases your viewpoint and that should be noted since Stanton were the first to commercially gain from the invention. It should also be clear that Stanton have a vested interest in this matter.
    I left Stanton a couple months ago to work for a direct competitor. In fact, it would benefit me directly if Stanton were negatively impacted (in a business sense of course, personally it would suck because I still have friends there).

No, I do not believe that your documents are forgeries. But they could be. Just as you doubt the validity of James Russell's paper. You have no "official" confirmation either - just a digital file you're hosting yourself.

Let's not go down these rabbit holes, because they mean very little in the grand scheme of things. You did not invent the idea of quadrature modulation - it's existed long before either of us (or any of our friends) were born. So even if I believe it's possible that you thought of applying it in a DJing application (and I do), it doesn't make me believe that you had any role in creating the DVS. You have no more right to take credit for creating the modern DVS than Rickli does. In fact, in my mind you have less, because Andre published before you , was granted a patent, and built a prototype.

And this is where (in my eyes) your story completely fails. You were shopping around IP. You had no real product, other than an idea. You saw enough value in the idea that you applied for a patent, and drafted an NDA so you could shop that IP around. And you were (apparently) very familiar with how the industry works and the idea of IP theft. Yet a few months after making your IP known to at least one entity in the industry, you just dropped it? You only ever had an idea to begin with, and you had already done the legwork needed to protect that idea while you either shopped it or waited until someone brought a product to market so you could capitalize on it. I don't understand this at all.

Again playing devil's advocate, it's conceivable that you could have seen or heard about an existing product and submitted a patent even though it infringed on another patent. That would provide you with all the "evidence" you have now.

But even that is kind of off the real point of my argument. All you EVER had was an idea. People have ideas all the time. The story of Elisha Gray and Alexander Graham Bell is a perfect illustration of this. But you didn't do any of the work involved with prototyping the idea, monetizing it, bringing it to market, or supporting it. What's more, you didn't even protect the idea you had.

So at BEST (if I believe everything you say, and I have no reason not to) you had an idea that was based on other people's work, didn't feel passionate about it at all, and ended up letting everyone else do ALL of the work to make it a reality. That's at best.
    Last edited by nem0nic; 12-01-2010 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Wu-Tang clan ain't nuttin' to....

lol

Quote Originally Posted by agentbleu View Post

I find it strange as to why the rights of the N2IT patent were transferred to a holding company (N2IT Holding B.V.) led by John Acquaviva who instigated the following civil disputes and why the rights were not held directly by Stanton since it was Stanton who were the ones to launch the product and it would have been them who dealt with N2IT over the rights. It looks like N2IT Holding B.V. is a front company and I am unclear on who is pulling its strings but it seems to be plausible that it is not John Acquaviva!

If your claim is that the document is a forgery then say so. It can easily be confirmed by contacting the other party!

This is factually incorrect. All the evidence in my article proves the time-line. My Patent was filed Jan 98, N2IT wasn't even formed as a company then and James Russell's 'paper' which has never been confirmed officially is an elusive document, I see mentions that it was both first published 1996 and 1995, but there is no full document published that I can see online. If this 'evidence' was used to challenge the current patent it would fail IMO given the patent already faced a much more robust challenge by Chris Bauer who did have a working model with an SMTPE timecode and who did legally challenge it but his claim of prior art was overruled on appeal.

Since you are an authority on this and an insider at Stanton let me pose one simple question, why was the rights transferred to yet another front company (N2IT Holding B.V. - Based where?) and the legal challenges made by John Acquaviva? Does he also claim to have invented it? And how comes Stanton never got caught up in any legal disputes despite they would have been the naturally aggrieved party when the other clones arrived?
    Bro even if you are or arnt the inventor why get so butthurt about it now? I mean you said yourself you are not even in the industry anymore. Oh big deal about it was your idea. Shit happened, statute of limitations is probably up... Are you really goint to make this big of a deal about it?

Do you like want a gold star or something cause you invented it, if you actually did? Cause no ones gonna give ya money...

And History is never written by people who lost the race...
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

I'm just waiting till Godwin's law kicks in...
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    I left Stanton a couple months ago to work for a direct competitor. In fact, it would benefit me directly if Stanton were negatively impacted (in a business sense of course, personally it would suck because I still have friends there).
    You should declare all your commercial interests, who do you work for now?

I have not made any arguments to claim ownership rights, as I have repeatedly said I could care less now about the IP. I have a long history in innovation as you will no doubt be aware and I am not short of new ideas or the capacity to execute on them. I built Intimidation from the ground up at the age of 21 with no finances or investment other than about 20k in loans. I turned that industry upside down and since I left, it has hardly changed!

My argument is that the entity suing everyone has no rights to do so!

To repeat myself I did not wish to continue and develop that product because as I had stated in my original article I knew it would be widely copied since IP protection is almost laughable. There are hundreds of thousands of cases where the inventors got screwed and I had seen all this with my own and others inventions. Without a strong partner it would have been pointless and I would be battling it out now 10 years later against direct clones who innovated or contributed nothing and retailed my concepts as cheap copies for $200 with no real recourse as legal protection is pointless when your trying to sue front companies who hide behind worthless entities such as N2IT etc. It's a mugs game and I'm glade I don't have to spar with the retarded copycats anymore!

Now instead of trying to muddy the water you should address my question! What's the real story behind Stanton and the front company (N2iT holdings) and how did John Acquaviva become the front man for it?

nem0nic who are you working for now? PM! or do I have to wait until NAMM and see your badge?

back on topic. DVS is awesome, i still wonder he created it, what I think really matters in this case, is who got the patenet 1st.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

I'm still saying it was the replic8 system, adopted by Numark.

It's the only system that was/is real time.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michielygil View Post
    I'm just waiting till Godwin's law kicks in...
    Which Godwin dude..? the anarchist..?

I studied Godwin on my Uni Degree Anarchism course.

Probably not the same guy but worth a shot.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Oh god I just realised which Godwin !!!

Scrub that last post.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast