New iPad app - MIDI Touch by iOS MIDI
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default New iPad app - MIDI Touch by iOS MIDI

I figured that you guys would have already beaten me to this post, but I guess not. The release of iOS4.2 for the iPad promised us MIDI over USB cable, and more robust MIDI overall. There have been a few app updates to take advantage of this so far, but a wholly new and extremely interesting app has been released called MIDI Touch.

http://iosmidi.com/apps/

Imagine TouchOSC, but sending MIDI instead. Very cool stuff.

At $17, it's not cheap, but the functionality it seems to deliver is pretty cool. First of all, it has a layout editor built into the software itself. So no relying on an external computer and app to generate layouts. VERY COOL, and the messaging possible is pretty comprehensive. It looks like you can do everything except SYSEX, although there seems to be some interest from the developer for implementing it. Also, did I mention that this app also supports MIDI FEEDBACK? Windows TouchOSC users who are tired of dealing with PD's limitations might want to give this app a shot.

This gives you an idea of the configuration possibilities. You also have a layout/preset changer available, so you can create several pages and switch between them. There are multiple themes, although there's basically 2 different "main" themes, each with a couple variations. Still, gives you some high contrast stuff (think Lemur-ish) and some Mac-esq layouts.

Also, I want to point out some small behaviors that the guys at iOS MIDI have added. If you use your finger on a fader, it will of course move to the updated location. But if you want fine control, you can "rub" anywhere off the "hot spot" on the fader and it will give you a fine value change. If you double tap on a fader, it will jump to the new value instead of sliding. Nice touches.

I would of course like to see support for relative CC messages (come on everyone - why is it these aren't widely supported by all of these apps?), but it's impressive so far.

I'll give you more info later in the week, but right now this is looking like a great competitor to the venerable TouchOSC.

Nice find buddy, I will look into this, but at $17 for the app is steep. Why not follow the regualr price range 0.99, 4.99, 9.99 and so on.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Guru

Dunno. I thought the same thing. But I also know I've been looking for a full featured alternative to TouchOSC and this is the first viable thing to come along. So I'll drop a $20 on it. The devs seem like they want to fully develop this thing, so I expect we'll see some regular updates.

Tech Guru

Oooh i like the look of that, might get it soon. Need camera kit though.

Is it possible to just use the regular cable that comes with the ipad? why do people specify using the camera connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

Tech Guru

I can't answer that 100% Chris. I know that for using the sniffer app it's to accept the typically type A connector (the type B connector is plugged into the device itself). But in the case of MIDI Touch, I'm going to assume that if you have a network MIDI driver installed (by default in OSX, extra download in Windows), that connecting via the normal cable would be fine. I've been to busy to test though. Hopefully I'll get to it tonight.

I got it working completely with traktor now im just trying to find something so i can compare my current traktor keys to the new ones so i can map them.

Im also in contact with the creator trying to see if i can some how send him it and let him use it as a template.
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

Default Midi touch ok

so i made most of the layout. but i need to get working on a mix. so enough of programing the layout and tsi

Heres a pic of the layout. Ill be making a Virtual MF style layout soon too.

ALSO THIS IS FOR PC PEOPLE

Tech Guru

Hey Chris, did you manage to get it up and running with the stock cable? If you have some time, why don't you post your setup procedure. I played with it last night for about 30 min and couldn't get it to show up in rtpMIDI using the stock cable.

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    Hey Chris, did you manage to get it up and running with the stock cable? If you have some time, why don't you post your setup procedure. I played with it last night for about 30 min and couldn't get it to show up in rtpMIDI using the stock cable.
    actually i did it wireless. It has super low latency and its super easy like touch osc has nothing on this program. Mac users can keep it lol.

I plan on doing a how to for DJ techtools and submit it for an arcticle. But hit me up in an email and ill send you the basic instructions i have written

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast