S4 & Virtual DJ

Thread: S4 & Virtual DJ

Default S4 & Virtual DJ

I know this is probably some kind of blasphemy...

But I'm curious if anyone has tried mapping the S4 to Virtual DJ 7? Or if, indeed, all features of the S4 -can- be mapped to another program (even Serato). There's the VU meters to consider, the LEDs, the Beatloop counter...

Atomix doesn't have any preset mappings for it, so it would have to be done manually, but VDJscript does allow for that.. supposedly. I've never really had the occasion to try it, though.

Don't get me wrong, I love Traktor... but I do a lot of shoutcast broadcasts -and- video mixing, both of which work much better in VDJ. So it's important to me that if I buy the S4, I can use it with -both- programs.

Tech Mentor

For mac use: nicecast, it's the best for broadcasting.

I'm using PC. But even then, there's one major problem with using broadcasting apps outside of VDJ or Traktor: Song titles.

The stations I spin for each have a song title display, and if that data isn't sent along with the broadcast, I lose that functionality. Sounds like a minor quibble, but it's actually very important. For one, it's how my listeners know I'm actually mixing live and not just playing previous recordings, and second (and perhaps more important) it allows my listeners to connect with the music. In many cases I promote smaller, local groups that have good music, and this is a way to get their information out.

Traktor's Ogg-based Icecast works fine, it's just not supported by most stations out there.

Update:

I bought an S4 and am writing a map for Virtual DJ. So far I have all of the basic functions mapped, the sound card works fine (both master out and monitor out), mic pass thru works. Most of the LEDs work, though I'm still trying to figure out how to program the individual VU meters in VDJ's scripting language, and I haven't managed to get the beatloop counter to work yet either. FX knobs were mapped successfully.

I will post a copy of the Mapping when I'm done, for DJTT peeps.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You won't get the beat loop display to work in anything outside of S4. They don't even work in Traktor pro yet. Hopefully that function will be enabled in updates.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Dystopic View Post
    Update:

I bought an S4 and am writing a map for Virtual DJ. So far I have all of the basic functions mapped, the sound card works fine (both master out and monitor out), mic pass thru works. Most of the LEDs work, though I'm still trying to figure out how to program the individual VU meters in VDJ's scripting language, and I haven't managed to get the beatloop counter to work yet either. FX knobs were mapped successfully.

I will post a copy of the Mapping when I'm done, for DJTT peeps.
    How's the mapping going? I am racking my brain trying to map it. I know this takes a lot of work and I would greatly appreciate it if you can get this uploaded! - even if it is just the basics....maybe that can get me started??

I actually only need to know how you did the LED's and scratch jog wheel.
    Last edited by thejunman; 08-14-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Default www.DJReThink.com

Check out the media page...

Tech Convert

$10? I'll try to figure it out myself - good learning experience with midi. Thanks anyway.
    I've seen your name pop up a few times - you're really pushing your website/media page!

Tech Guru

^^agreed^^ rethink...what do you get for 10 bucks? Do the jogs work well?
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

The jogs work well but because they are not in NHL mode they have less resolution. I am working on a 2nd version of the files to implement the effects that the guys over at Atomix have been writing.

I am hoping that when NI opens the NHL mode they also increase the resolution of the midi jogs.

If you need some help with the mapping let me know and I can point you in the right direction. For those who want something that works well out of the box...hit me up.

<edit>Check out my website for a video on how its uploaded and how it works. Uploaded to YouTube by KillaSaintLoius and I embedded it on my site.

Good lookin out Killa!!
    Last edited by ReThink; 09-10-2011 at 11:27 PM.