Ableton Live 7 Vs Live Suite

Default Ableton Live 7 Vs Live Suite

I had a question for all you Ableton Live 7 users out there...did you just buy Ableton Live 7 or did you buy the Ableton Suite which includes "the software instruments Sampler, Operator, Electric, Analog, and Tension, and the sampled instrument packages Session Drums, Drum Machines, and Essential Instrument Collection 2". Is all that stuff essential for production or can i find free 3rd party equivalents?. I was also curious about the education versions they have that come with a big discount. Essentially its the same as the regular Ableton Live 7 without any limitations correct as long as i can prove that I or who ever bought the program is a student at an accredited institue?. I feel limited by what Virtual Dj can do and want to move on to something more advanced and also want to pick up producing also. Anyways thanks for any help or insight yall can provide

CHEERS
    Last edited by j1n; 12-08-2008 at 10:32 PM.

You want something more advanced? Live is the perfect antidote to that!

The packs that come as add-ons are not essential, but they do expand your possibilities. Since you've not used Live before I'd recommend saving them for later. You can go a long way before you truely need the extras, and there are also a lot of capable VST synths and FX that do similar things to the Ableton addons (Reaktor, Massive, etc).

Get the basic package, it's far from "basic" and add on extras when you hit the limitations. I've been using Live for 4 years now and I've only just come to the point where buying Operator would be good for me.

P.S. Ableton sometimes up-sell Live as a DJ package, but it's more of an app where you can piece together a DJ system from the parts - like a Lego DJ system - than a finished DJ package. Get to know the software and you'll understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    You want something more advanced? Live is the perfect antidote to that!

The packs that come as add-ons are not essential, but they do expand your possibilities. Since you've not used Live before I'd recommend saving them for later. You can go a long way before you truely need the extras, and there are also a lot of capable VST synths and FX that do similar things to the Ableton addons (Reaktor, Massive, etc).

Get the basic package, it's far from "basic" and add on extras when you hit the limitations. I've been using Live for 4 years now and I've only just come to the point where buying Operator would be good for me.

P.S. Ableton sometimes up-sell Live as a DJ package, but it's more of an app where you can piece together a DJ system from the parts - like a Lego DJ system - than a finished DJ package. Get to know the software and you'll understand.
    Hey thanks for your insight on this, I get what you mean about piecing together a DJ system tho. I'm currently trying out the demo version of Live 7 and I like what I'm capable to do so far. Being able to warp my track is whats attracting me to Live, because even tho in Virtual DJ when i beat matched/beat gridded everything, my bassline starts to drift apart sooner than i like it even when i check and recheck that everything is matched up. Tho i must say warping is a mofo!!...but the god thing about it is once everything is warped i wont have to spend all the time beat matching but instead I can process Fx which is great!
    Cheers