Do U Ever Feel Really Small? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

An example of what i like to call a genre mashing dj

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5fO...eature=related
    I play everything Indie/ Rock/ HipHop/ Cheese/ Electro/ Dubstep and anything that sounds good

Tsp 1.7/ Tsp 2/ Sony vaio Win 7 4gb Ram / Macbook Pro 13 inch (Main machine) /vci 100 se/ mixdeck/ audio 8/ technics rph headphones/ Custom xBox Controller/ Akai Lpd8

Tech Guru

well from what i've observed you can either work your way up the social ladder in your city and do the dj thing for a really long time so that one day you get decent gigs in your respective scene in your town....

or you can bypass that by producing good music and get decent gigs almost immediately in any town that supports your respective scene. as much as i'd like to say you could accomplish the same by being really good at djing, i don't believe it's the case anymore unless you're an amazing turntablist like Q-Bert or doing something truly unique and next level with your mixing like Mike Relm.

One piece of advice: Don't hold out for glamorous work.

I love my genres... EBM, Industrial, House, Trance... And I'm not trying to brag here (seriously), but I know I'm one of the top EBM guys in my state in terms of ability and uniqueness.

But if i want to get paid and move up in my career, that doesn't matter. I take any paying gig I can get my hands on that's even close to what I do. I've spun at huge clubs with thousands, but much more often... I spin at dive bars and shitty clubs with 50 people, tops, playing top 40 (with a little house flair). I'm a resident at a local club that loves my style, but it's small, 200 people, tops. Some stuff I just do for a bar tab, or a nominal amount of money (like $50 or something). I've even done weddings, though the ones I've done.. they at least requested House music .

What I'm trying to say is that there are times I feel small too. But I make people dance and have a good time, so it's still good. And there are times I feel big, too. Spinning some Industrial in front of well over 1000. It comes with the territory. Just stay with it and make yourself unique, and you'll be fine.

As for helping noobs... I'm all for that, as long as it doesn't cost me a lot of time. Sure, I've spilled some "secrets" here and there, but as you've said, most of it has been done before. What makes you unique isn't the methods and technical aspects of your mixing... it's your sound. Everything you do, from your track selections, beatloops, samples... maybe you're an EQ whore, or maybe you love backspins. Maybe you scratch, maybe you don't care to. In any event, it's the COMBINATION that makes you different, not the individual parts.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dystopic View Post
    As for helping noobs... I'm all for that, as long as it doesn't cost me a lot of time. Sure, I've spilled some "secrets" here and there, but as you've said, most of it has been done before.

i think this is really important to have a helpful attitude. in this scene guys can potentially go from newb to pro in a matter of 5 years.

never underestimate people in the community, you never know who they might be a few years later. if you helped them out they can very well return the favour. this principle doesn't just apply to djing, but networking in general - there's more to be gained from building bridges than burning them.

If you're having fun and so is the party you're top 1% in my books! (should be in yours, too )
    MAKE SMILES
    ACER Aspire 5755 | TP 2 | MIXED IN KEY | S4 mk2 | LPD8 | MDR-V700 | ODYSSEY L STAND
    SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK| TWITTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12