On the differences between Serato and Traktor - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tech Guru

I think the S4 software is an imporvement to TSP. The layout is the same but the colors are much more appealing and the graphic is a bit different. Also using it on the S4 and taking away all of the mixer control views on the software and just leaving the decks up steamlines the GUI much more.

But take the GUI for Serato with the Bridge up, Effects, video, etc. and you can have alot going on your screen as well. Bottom line - more features equals more things on your GUI.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Dude you are just going to have to accept that many many many younger DJs could not give a rats ass about beatmatching by ear. Period.

The neither care that its a great skill nor have any inclination to learn it.

Tell someone "you cant beatmatch" and they might just say "who gives a fuck my beatgrids are tight so my mix is tight"...

Many people come to realise after time that they wish they had learnt and work backwards from controllers to decks but a lot simply dont bother.

Beatmatching by ear is a skill but it aint the be all and end all... and pretty much any fool can learn to stick 2 records together.

Picking great tunes is far more important.

Unfortunately a lot of people that dont take the time to learn to beatmatch dont take the time to learn how to program a good set and select good tunes either.

Meh, da ja vu here..
    I concur. I have trouble understanding the fascination with deejaying-if you can even call it deejaying-through a computer or a laptop.

I learned to deejay 15 years ago, which means I learned how to beat match with my hands and with my ears-actually touching a real record, two of them actually, and listening to the music. This is how I learned to mix records. Without a beat counter or a waveform to do it for me. I learned to deejay off the grid.

Is this what Serrato does, or does it actually match the beats for you?

Although I acknowledge the technology of programs like Serrato, Traktor, even Ableton-I cannot in any way respect these technologies or consider them in any way, shape, or form as the tools which are used to practice the craft of deejaying, the act of mixing two or more records together not only by beat matching but also by utilizing rythm, harmony, percussion, etc.

I think it's great that people can enjoy themselves and have a good time using new technology. Really, all that matters is that you have a good time.

But you gotta draw the line somewhere.

I push buttons on a keyboard all day long.

But I don't call it deejaying.

A few guys I know use serrato or traktor or ableton or whatever. They used to play vinyl.

I don't consider them deejays.

Do i consider myself a deejay?

I don't mix with a laptop.

But opinions are like axeholes. Everybody's got one.

Deejaying?

Don't listen to me. What do i know.

Go find out.

Well its too bad your not a real musician either.

Or you wouldn't play pre-recorded material.

And to bad you hide behind amplifiers and fancy electric synths.

If you were a real artist you would only use classical instruments, un-amplified, played by many musicians, in a concert hall studio. No recording could possibly reproduce the sound of the live experience....

Need I go further?

Your just using an instrument because you cant train your voice properly to be even close to musical. If you cant sing that note yourself you have no business reproducing it.

And so on, and so on.
    Last edited by exokinetic; 02-10-2011 at 01:27 AM.

never said I was a musician junior.

I don't even play in a band. I own a guitar and a bass that I never learned how to play.

Never played a synthesizer live.

The amp I hide behind is about 2 feet wide, a foot deep, and about half a foot tall.

It weighs about fifty pounds.

Go as far as you like kid.

I never said I was a singer, or that I've ever sang.

I most definitely didn't say I was an artist. Come on. I ain't that pathetic.

But I can spell.

The buttons I push are on a computer keyboard.

You should go further kid, something tells me you're bright.

But you gotta have some patience. For things like reading peoples' posts correctly.

And for spelling.

Something tells me you're a whiz at serrato, or traktor, or ableton.

?

Well.... you have certainly put me in my place.

No, senior, actually I play no music at all. I spend all my free time playing WoW, and the rest at a dead-end job.

And you are "hiding" behind an amplification device because you cannot produce that volume yourself. That is how that was intended.

My post was merely a satire of your opinion that if it isn't vinyl through an analogue mixer, it isn't DJing.

You say you can spell?

I believe DJ is an acronym (big word, I know right)

Meaning? D isk J ockey

Who this deejay person you speak of, one will never know.

And I never implied that you were or claimed to be any of those things. It was just stating that based on the merits of your argument, you could not, be any of those things.

Open your mind. It has amazing possibilities.
    Last edited by exokinetic; 02-10-2011 at 03:08 AM.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by exokinetic View Post
    Well its too bad your not a real musician either.

Or you wouldn't play pre-recorded material.

And to bad you hide behind amplifiers and fancy electric synths.

If you were a real artist you would only use classical instruments, un-amplified, played by many musicians, in a concert hall studio. No recording could possibly reproduce the sound of the live experience....

Need I go further?

Your just using an instrument because you cant train your voice properly to be even close to musical. If you cant sing that note yourself you have no business reproducing it.

And so on, and so on.
    I enjoyed that. a lot actually.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by diletantedeejay View Post
    I concur. I have trouble understanding the fascination with deejaying-if you can even call it deejaying-through a computer or a laptop.

I learned to deejay 15 years ago, which means I learned how to beat match with my hands and with my ears-actually touching a real record, two of them actually, and listening to the music. This is how I learned to mix records. Without a beat counter or a waveform to do it for me. I learned to deejay off the grid.

Is this what Serrato does, or does it actually match the beats for you?

Although I acknowledge the technology of programs like Serrato, Traktor, even Ableton-I cannot in any way respect these technologies or consider them in any way, shape, or form as the tools which are used to practice the craft of deejaying, the act of mixing two or more records together not only by beat matching but also by utilizing rythm, harmony, percussion, etc.

I think it's great that people can enjoy themselves and have a good time using new technology. Really, all that matters is that you have a good time.

But you gotta draw the line somewhere.

I push buttons on a keyboard all day long.

But I don't call it deejaying.

A few guys I know use serrato or traktor or ableton or whatever. They used to play vinyl.

I don't consider them deejays.

Do i consider myself a deejay?

I don't mix with a laptop.

But opinions are like axeholes. Everybody's got one.

Deejaying?

Don't listen to me. What do i know.

Go find out.
    when is that update coming so we can give stuff a thumbs down?
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by diletantedeejay View Post
    never said I was a musician junior.

I don't even play in a band. I own a guitar and a bass that I never learned how to play.

Never played a synthesizer live.

The amp I hide behind is about 2 feet wide, a foot deep, and about half a foot tall.

It weighs about fifty pounds.

Go as far as you like kid.

I never said I was a singer, or that I've ever sang.

I most definitely didn't say I was an artist. Come on. I ain't that pathetic.

But I can spell.

The buttons I push are on a computer keyboard.

You should go further kid, something tells me you're bright.

But you gotta have some patience. For things like reading peoples' posts correctly.

And for spelling.

Something tells me you're a whiz at serrato, or traktor, or ableton.

?
    just because one chooses to use a dvs system or any kind of mixing software doesn't mean that they can't work a traditional setup.

traktor, serato, and ableton are just tools that allows the user to be more creative in terms of of their mixing like the use of traktor's internal fx and layering multiple tracks together to create something new.

if you're gonna whine, go find one of the millions of kids that bootlegs virtual dj off the internet.

The biggest difference is really preference. Traktor has a lot of features but Serato is probably simpler to use. This is what most people probably say. If you are good, you will still be good with either system.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast