Downloads in a Restricted Area on Beatport
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Downloads in a Restricted Area on Beatport

I suppose this is part rant and part asking advice. When a song on Beatport is outside of the area for which you are allowed to download, what is you alternative.
    I understand that this has to do with certain copyright laws. Does this happen often to people on this forum? Is there a way to get around it? Call me salty, but I do get pretty pissed when I can't download a song called New York City Beat and I live in New York. Yes that is technically salty.
    Also, how viable an option if buying non-digital releases of these songs, having them shipped ove here, and "wripping" them to your computer. That thought is kinda off the top of my head.

you need to talk to Neomonic, if i remember right he was working on something to combat that situation.

maybe try running beatport thru a proxy site? i duno.

It's on Nem0nic's website...where he also has a bunch of other tutorials.

I think I posted this a while ago...

http://www.nem0nic.com/index.php?opt...d=78&Itemid=48

I thought it was mentioned a while ago too but i couldnt seem to find it when i was searching.
    Thanks for the link

Tech Guru

There are a couple different articles on there. The pricing one is actually more current, and has a better alternative to the SOCKS proxy program I suggested in the first article. Remember that you have to choose a country that has a distribution deal with the label your song is on - sometimes this takes a little detective work on discogs.org.

Also, if you're paying with a credit card, you need to stay proxied until you check out, then drop your proxy. Otherwise the CC charge won't go through (I go into this in the second article). But as of a couple weeks ago it still works.

If you're running across these restricted songs alot, it might pay off to invest in a private proxy service. Tracking down a free server that meets your needs is a pain in the ass.

yeah how sucky is it to find some awesome song on beatport only to be told you can't buy it in your territory.

I'm reading nem0nic's link now, it strikes me as funny to go through all that work to have to buy a song but i guess that is the price you have to pay to remain legal and ethical....

I usually just ask a friend in another country if there are tracks he wants & can't get, and swap with him.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

Yups, that, and setting up a different proxy elsewhere.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Guru

The fact that so many of us are willing to jump through these hoops of fire just to make sure the artist gets paid for their work should be a very clear message to both Beatport and the artists/labels that they should drop this antiquated policy of territory based digital distribution. Because honestly most of us could find the song in a blog or on a file hosting service MUCH quicker than we could find a working proxy.

GET IT SORTED GUYS!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast