S4 video and some tricks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default S4 video and some tricks

Here's a video using most of the features from the S4 and putting into practice the idea of adding more FX presets by twisting the embedded mapping:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze2j3g5Bxiw

Here's the video's description:
    Mix using the loop recorder, sample decks & Fx presets.
    The loop recorder is used to duplicate a loop while dividing the original (adding a natural phaser effect) or allows to 'record' a manipulation of the sound with eq or FX so the whole segment can be played at will.
    I'm using a few samples in the sample decks: a short vocal loop, some 'tops', a 'downlifter' and a 'rise' sound effects.
    Lastly I'm calling Fxs presets using a twist of the embedded mapping while using the jog as main control for those presets.
    I'm working with 4 fx units but each pair of unit is considered as one only (as I'm using some FX combos using two units).
    A dedicated assign button engages the related pair of FX unit for each deck. The second available Fx assign button for each deck as been remapped to give access to an instant delay.

The colored faders were painted blue & white to match decks' color code with some acrylic paint but comes originally from Djs face like the orange knobs used on all D/W knobs.

Playlist:
    Underworld - Bird 1 (Lone dub)
    Dirty Disco Youth - In love (Etienne de Crecy remix)
    Adam Beyer & Alexi Delano - Sleep horn
    Extrawelt - My stupid (Gregor Tresher remix)
    + tools (samples, loops, Fx; acapellas)

You'll find the suggestion I made to get more presets from the S4 while using the embedded mapping here:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20764

Tech Guru

Well done, mate !

By far, better than most (just don't want to be absolute by saying all) other S4 performance videos out there.

Cheers and thanks for sharing!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Nice! Now I'm off to DJ's face to check out some orange knobs.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Thank you very much for posting! I can't wait to check this out when I get home today.

I've really been hoping someone would post a video demonstrating some of the S4 features in use, as I've either not had time to play around with them much (was having way too much fun DJing the classic way to get into the new) and I've also had trouble trying to figure out how I'd incorporate these new features into my current style. Up until only a couple weeks ago, I had never used effects or filters. It's exciting though, to have so much more to learn now.

-PL>Y

Quote Originally Posted by PRESSPL>Y View Post
    Thank you very much for posting! I can't wait to check this out when I get home today.

I've really been hoping someone would post a video demonstrating some of the S4 features in use, as I've either not had time to play around with them much (was having way too much fun DJing the classic way to get into the new) and I've also had trouble trying to figure out how I'd incorporate these new features into my current style. Up until only a couple weeks ago, I had never used effects or filters. It's exciting though, to have so much more to learn now.

-PL>Y
    You'll need to make sure to read the previous post by Yul that outlines how he mapped some of these extra things.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20764
    Chris Jennings FHP

That's nice of you thanks, but that's too much praise, I think it's only a very tiny grasp of what's feasible. I wish I would be better at cue point juggling and scratching (no skill there whatsoever) so I could include this kind of stuff in my mixes.

What's packed with the software combined with the ability of recording yourself with the loop recorder opens so much possibilities. I can't wait to get a foot pedal and get used to practice with the recorder more.

I wish the embedded mapping could be a bit more flexible too.

Quote Originally Posted by Yul View Post
    I can't wait to get a foot pedal and get used to practice with the recorder more.
    I was going to say something about the lack of a foot pedal, but forgot.
    Chris Jennings FHP

really enjoyed that. definately looking forward to the new update to include s4 software features in tpro. Gonna wait till after Namm in January before I think of upgrading equipment see what's new. Keep it up and post some more!
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

http://soundcloud.com/zimfella

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Nice! Now I'm off to DJ's face to check out some orange knobs.
    Good luck with that. I wanted a white knob/fader pack and they wanted £70 just for postage from Germany to UK. Over £100 in total.
    RIP_OFF

Tech Wizard

Sadly... this video makes everything look so easy respect.

Awesome.. simply awesome. Between the effects and just the production alone.
    MBP & a i5-2500k/asus p8p67 pro/8gb (1600mhz)ram/ Win7 x64 - Kontrol S4 - KRK 5s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast