Control Surface + Midi Pad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Control Surface + Midi Pad

Hey I've been doing a lot of research into what my newest addition to my setup will be. Right now I just have a VCI-100 and plan on eventually selling it to buy a 4-Deck controller (maybe the next version of the S4 once the price drops and the bugs have been fixed), but right now I am looking strictly for pads, knobs and faders. At first I was looking at the Akai APC40 because for it's price it has just about everything you could need but the one thing I wasn't fond of was the pads. I am looking to use the pads for cue points and potentially as a drum pad so I need either velocity sensitivity or simply very responsive buttons. On that note I started looking into velocity sensitive pads and came to the conclusion that the Akai MPD18 is the best to suit my needs (simple and cheap), however then I started thinking about the Midi Fighter and am now very intrigued with the idea. The Midi Fighter has a 1UP on the Akai because of the lights and replaceable buttons, but it does cost almost $100 more. In regards to control surfaces I've got my eye on the BCF2000. I'm also looking into getting a used UC-33 (for around $100) but I'm under the impression they're discontinued so that would be the only way to get my hands on one.

Now my questions for you. Do you think the Midi Fighter is worth paying $100 more than the MPD18? Are there any good controllers ($100-$150) with more than 16 pads? Are there any control surfaces ($100-$200) that have as many knobs as the UC-33 that also has sliders? As far as I can tell the UC-33 has more controls than any other controller that I have ever seen in this price range, I can't understand why it isn't being made anymore. Finally, what do you think is the best combination of controllers (ideally one pad and one control surface) to have the most function for its value?

tl;dr Need pads (at least 16), faders (at least 8) and knobs (as many as possible). Want to spend around $300. MPD18? Midi Fighter? BCF2000? What say ye?

Tech Guru

I like the BCF and the UC-33.
    the mpd is bigger than the MF also, but... ever considered making a controller?
    an xbox controller board can give you 6 analogs and like <14 digital.. you can combine two xbox controllers into one actual controller.. just a thought.

novation launchpad?
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

I was thinking about making one but I don't think I'd be ingenuitive enough. Also with the circuit board costing around $80 plus price of arcade buttons, and also having to find/make a sufficient box and make perfect holes I feel like it just wouldn't be worth the trouble. Taking apart xbox controllers and figuring all that stuff out just seems daunting to me.

Launchpad had the same problem as the APC40 which was click buttons rather than velocity sensitive pads (or highly responsive arcade buttons).

I just noticed that the Launchpad was used to win the 4-Track Juggle contest. Can anyone speak to how responsive these pads are? Are they touch sensitive?

No, they only know the command on or off like a simple button

Are they highly responsive though? If velocity is not an issue will they work well with cue point juggling and drumming or do you have to push harder than you would want. I'm especially hoping you don't have to click them.

launch pad sucks , I use one in my set up.... only good for launching QUANTIZED clips , not banging them up like a midi fighter...

Have you considered using multiple akai lpd8s? 8 pads and and knobs each, decent built quality and cheap as anything.

I've heard bad things about the BCF2000, but then what do you expect for motorised faders at that price?

I had considered the lpd8, i just wasn't sure how durable it would be, I know the nanopad isn't built to last and I was afraid the same might go for the lpd8. Assuming it is high enough quality that 2 of those would serve my needs as far as pads and knobs go, what would you suggest to cover lots of faders?

I've decided on a BCR2000 for knobs since it is under $200, now I just need to figure out the fader/pad situation. Are there any controllers other than the akai series that have both? I'd like 16 pads and 8 faders for around $200. I suppose another option would be to get 3 pieces of equipment (the BCR2000 for knobs, mpd18 or 2 lpd8s for pads and then something for faders), in which case I'm wondering what a good cheap controller strictly for faders would be. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast