Trigger Finger and VCI-100 Controlling Traktor - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Thanks for Everybody's Responses

Thanks alot guys for all your input! Yea i would really like to use another controller for to use as my play/pause/cue buttons because i feel that the vci buttons are not soft enough to press for me.

My only set back is that i havent really learned how to set up 2 midi controllers such as a vci-100 and the novation or trigger finger together. Id also like to use those controllers to set cue points or engage effects. Are they any videos or exact tutorials that can show me? or is anyone willing to send me a message on how to set it up.

Im using a macbook pro, vci-100, and soon ill be getting either a midi keyboard or a pad like the trigger finger. Id like to use my vci-100 to control my volumes. Thanks again for your help guys!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Hey 408bks. Welcome aboard!

Now, I have a question for you. As a fellow VCI-100 owner I was wondering what you felt is unresponsive about the play/cueplay/cuepause commands? Do you not want to have to worry about clicking down the button and would rather just have a pad to strike? I mean, if you wanted to do it that way you could just turn those buttons on the VCI-100 into arcade buttons.

:-) Good luck to ya.
    Hi Dvls,
    yea i really feel that the vci-100 buttons are to hard to click and i dont want to take apart my controller and put arcade buttons. I would just like either a keyboard key or a pad that i can easily hit and allow me to play my music in real time.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Midifidler - Would I be able to have you do some custom work on it, being I have no DIY ability with metal? I am willing to pay, of course. I'll drop you a PM.

408bks - Editing your tks is really easy. It's not as complicated as regular MIDI programming and it literally just assigning buttons to actions (Pad 1 - Cue/Play). I would first sit down, though, and figure out how many commands you need to replace on your VCI-100, and if you are going to use those commands on the VCI-100 for anything else (will you reassign the Cue/Play, Cue/Pause buttons on your VCI-100 to, say, Punch In and Punch Out actions). Once you have figured that out you can figure out what kind of MIDI controller you want.

If it's more than 16 (which my guess is it probably will be) than you might want to look into a keyboard style (Oxygen, for example). The advantage of that is the octave key can be for different decks (Octave 1 for A, 2 for B, 3 for C, 4 for D), or for different types of controls (1 for Play/Pause and Cue, 2 for Loops, 3 for Effects and 4 for collection navigation).

I think the best bet is to map out what you want to do and then we can help figure out the tools to do it with, and then we'll know what you need to do to program it into Traktor. :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Default Thanks!

Dvls, thanks again for your help. I'll take your advice and plan out my controls first and then ill get back to you. I think i will go with a midi keyboard, so ill plan around that. Thanks!

That's fine. If you're going to use it with your VCI then you can put together some interesting control combinations if you can adequately jump between controllers :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Default Using both Controllers at the same time

DVLS,
    one more question. will i be able to use each controllers functions at the same time without having to switch between them? What i mean is, can i use the job wheels on my vci-100 and then press play on my midi keyboard instantly? without having to switch between different modes?

There are no modes involved. As long as the commands don't overlap where you don't want them to (the commands in the tks highlight red when this happens) then you can use as many MIDI controllers on as many different channels as you want. The best bet is to make sure they are on different channels so the commands can't overlap between units. :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Default Connections for Midi Controllers

Hi again guys,

i have a new question. If i used a trigger finger or any kinda of midi pad control or keyboard and also a soundcard that supported midi ports, could i connect my controls through the soundcard? or would i have to use the usb connection for my midi controller?

Tech Wizard

the trigger finger needs the power from the usb bus, but if you have a 9v adapter, than use the midi if you like.

You can connect your controls through the MIDI on the sound card, but that would require you to use the A/C adapter for the MIDI devices. If you find yourself running low on ports (lord knows I am) then look at getting a four port MIDI hub or something of the sort. That way there's one wall wart that can power up to four devices along with USB power, instead of four wall warts, one for each device. :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast