Trigger Finger and VCI-100 Controlling Traktor
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Trigger Finger and VCI-100 Controlling Traktor

Hi everybody,

First of all i just wanna say that DJ Techtools is Great! I have a question about using the trigger finger and the VCI-100 at the same time when using traktor.

Is this possible? Im not much of a turntablist or scratcher and all i really do is beatmix at my gigs. Id like to use the VCI platters to find the cue points of my songs and use the volume sliders to control my volumes. Also id like to use my trigger finger or maybe even a novation like ean to control my play, play/cue buttons, as well as effects buttons or other parameters.

The reason why i want to use another controller for controlling my play buttons and stuff is because i feel that the vci-100 buttons are not responsive and easy to press for my beatmixing style.I know i could setup arcade buttons, but i dont really want to go through all that. I hope you guys understand what im trying to get at.

Is there anyway to set up a vci-100 and either a trigger finger or maybe novation remote sl together?

i know i might have missed it in a post or something on the site, but id like your guy's input. Thanks

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Hey 408bks. Welcome aboard!

I use a PadKontrol with my VCI and I can speak from experience that it is very much do-able. THe only difference between what you are using and Ean's set up for the Oxygen8 that he talks about is the number controls you have.

What you'll do is just assign CC# or notes to each of the 16 squares and assign them to the commands in your tks. If you need assistance on this there are videos here that explain how to use the tks, etc. but feel free to ask if the that, and the manual, doesn't make any sense.

Now, I have a question for you. As a fellow VCI-100 owner I was wondering what you felt is unresponsive about the play/cueplay/cuepause commands? Do you not want to have to worry about clicking down the button and would rather just have a pad to strike? I mean, if you wanted to do it that way you could just turn those buttons on the VCI-100 into arcade buttons.

:-) Good luck to ya.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

i use my vci-100 in combination with a korg padcontrol. the vci runs on midi channel 1, you hast have to program the second controller on another channel (2-16)...i also use my pads on the padcontrol for cue beatjuggle, play samples, beatmash an so on.

but the best is to trigger samples while 2 tracks are in the mix

Tech Wizard

with the help of nem0nic, i got both of my triggers to work.
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128

i picked up a vci-100(modding now) too and i'm playing with layouts for a .tks which will work best for me. i love this forum. all 3 mapped and working seemlessly. i want to change my overall appearance on stage from the usual 2 turntables and mixer to 2 trigger fingers a vci-100 and an oxygen8.the only thing is getting used to playing in this fashion and getting confident enough with the controls to perform live. as far as music expressionism, this is by far the way to go.
    Last edited by lofi; 05-01-2008 at 05:33 PM.

Tech Guru

A padKontrol would be ok, I wouldnt reccomend a 25SL, as I have one and they are quite big, so in combo with a vci probably 2 much of a footprint, not to mention a 25SL is probably a bit over the top for what you need, unless you want to get into production or using it by itself.

On another note!, if you wanted to have arcade buttons, which i've used and are awesome! But still want a separate versatile unit thats nice n small check this out!:

I've been talking with Midi Fidler who made this and hes in the process of making a few units to sell to mates and DJTT people in the next month or so! I've already put a $50 deposit down. I think they're going to be around $140-180 all up, depending on what u want custom on them.

Also - its now around 1/2 the height (about the same as the vci) and can have pretty much any surface on it - Midi was talking about having a clear acrylic layer with black painted on the back, which would give a nice 3D effect - I'll probably design some cool stuff to put on them at some point.
    Last edited by midian; 05-01-2008 at 06:13 PM.

If you want to go cheaper....M-audio Oxygen. 8 knobs, 25 keys, 2 other type nobs, and 6 buttons (that are very responsive)

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

midian

can I reserve one of those? cause, that's, like, awesome
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    midian

can I reserve one of those? cause, that's, like, awesome
    For Sure man, I'll talk to Midi Fidler about it (get him to post), should be getting some updated pics soon, and hopefully a youtube video. The PS2 joysticks look fucking cool! They can have up to 4 effects stacked onto them. (Ie left is on, down is one, right is one, up is one). Cant wait to get my hands on mine!

I was also thinking of getting a few of those touch sensitive ribbon sliders to combine into it as well.

Also its completely customisable, ie a selection of button colours, all the LED lights can be whatever you want, same with the graphics on the top. Could be engraved metal, whatever! I'm thinking of developing a steampunk concept for mine and modding it up hard! Lots of working dials n stuf!

Anyway, sorry to hiJack thread, back to controllers to use with the VCI!
    Last edited by midian; 05-01-2008 at 09:38 PM.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Hey Dvls,

You will find a bit more info on the midifighter under here,

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54

I wouldnt expect it to be ready to ship for another 6 weeks, as I have a three week wait for PCBs then have to complete the new code for V2 (slim version). Currently it looks like the build cost is going to come out to about $160 USD. Im am already building extra units for Kaon & Midian, but I will have enough PCBs left over to build 5 more. Any DJ TT's regular will be able to pick one of these up at cost price.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast