Technical mixing? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post

Besides…his music (productions) isn't garbage…but it's very replaceable. It doesn't push any envelopes, it doesn't stand out, and it doesn't really do anything new.

Considering how much of a bitch he is in person, his music isn't even good enough to pirate.

i agree.

my train of thought is that this rings true for 99% of the other popular electrohouse producers as well.... so why don't we see long drawn out discussions on how overrated Crookers and Bloody Beetroots are?

i suspect it's because of the "djs are cunts" comment that ruffled some people's feathers. personally i thought it was really hilarious and still find it funny, what makes it even more humorous is how people reacted and are still crying butt-hurt how long after the fact.

You don't see people bitchin' about the beetroots being overrated because 99 percent of the Deadmau5 bashing starts off with discussions about his absurd claims and rants against those who are supposed to buy his tunes. These discussions are then often taken over by people going on the "you're just jealous"-road and claim his supposed production skills. Again, he's good, but that does not change the fact that he's an ass about DJs.

More to the point, the original question here was if traditional mixing (on the thesis that traditional might equal boring) was something people here still pursue, and why. I think that an old Deadmau5 quote displaying the lack of knowledge about such things can not be the correct starting point for such discussions.

In my opinion, DJing IS technical, and it will stay that way or even become more technical with the advance of digital DJing/controllerism. I see myself as the guy who tries to preserve as much soul and vibe from the original music as possible by technically doing a good job and on top of that putting my own heart and soul into selection, creating some kind of suspense, etc. That may be a conservative approach to some, but it's safe to say that I don't sound like any other DJ. I like different tunes, have a different vibe, mix in a different way. I don't claim to be better than the other guys, the point is, I don't sound like them.

Live mashups, cue point juggling, FX orgies etc. can create something new, something with vibe and energy. But that's where performance starts. Although I think that is something that can and will be enjoyed by others and that performance and DJing will grow closer more and more, it is not the core of what DJing is and DJs should be judged about. It's about giving others a good time and ideally enjoying it oneself. As long as a DJ sticks to that and respects others, he's in my cool book, no matter if he's using turntables or CDJs, Traktor or Ableton, something traditional or cutting edge technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterkat View Post
    i mean, you can tell when a DJ has spent hours before his set preparing his songs and mixes, compared to one that just rocks up at the club with his USB stick, and goes... hmmm... i wonder what im going to play now...

/End Rant
    Some might say that a DJ that prepares his set isn't that good and that you should be able to decide what to play on the fly and make it work.

I agree with those people.

Nothing worse than a pre-programmed set.
    Tony the Pony.
    My soundcloud page. House, mainly.

Mixcloud & Website coming soon.

I dunno hey!

You need to be fluid i recon.

I like to plan my sets....So it comes out like a mix tape that is good all round.

I know which tracks sit well with each other etc.

Other times...i like to wing it.

I would not go as far as saying that a DJ that prepares his sets is shit.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    I dunno hey!

You need to be fluid i recon.

I like to plan my sets....So it comes out like a mix tape that is good all round.

I know which tracks sit well with each other etc.

Other times...i like to wing it.

I would not go as far as saying that a DJ that prepares his sets is shit.
    I wouldn't say they were sh*t either. But knowing what 12 tracks you are gonna play in your hour slot or turning up with 15 tracks and playing them is a bit limited and amateurish.

If you are doing complex layering and using samples or tricky transistions, of course you know things that work from your sessions at home etc and that's different, but a pre-programmed set 'I'll play this aftrer this, then that after that' is little more than playing a mix cd, regardless of what you do with the tunes. If you have a routine that is extremely creative then ok, but if it's pretty standard stuff I don't see the point.

I don't do anything fancy, btw. I have only just come from CDJs so my creativity is bare minimum, I mix because I love the tunes I play and I want other people to hear the music too and I know people get a kick out of my taste most of the time, so i am not lording myself as some great DJ, but I do always believe that genrally things shouldn't be practised too much or pre-programmed.

This is probably OT anyway.

btw, it makes me lol to see so many grown up guys acting like they have their underwear up their bottoms! lol
    Tony the Pony.

Tech Guru

well any dj who's banking 10k per gig would probably disagree with you.

but what would they know.....
    Last edited by wrong chris; 12-10-2010 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    well any dj who's banking 10k per gig would probably disagree with you.

but what would they know.....
    Hey, it's just my opinion.

WTF do I care about DJs banking 10k a gig. I don't know any, personally, to ask. Do you?
    Tony the Pony.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
    I don't know any, personally, to ask. Do you?

you could read/watch some interviews. it is a question that comes up.

I hear ya....if you going to play the same tired old set gig after gig....that would be naff.

If you do it for each gig.....i think thats different.

Plus....you should ALWAYS have a plan B.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Filterkat

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
    Some might say that a DJ that prepares his set isn't that good and that you should be able to decide what to play on the fly and make it work.

I agree with those people.

Nothing worse than a pre-programmed set.
    yeah, but theres a difference between being prepared and just plain chaos... i dont "pre progam" my whole set, but i at least know for each song in my set folder, i have at least another 4 or 5 songs that mix well with it... and that takes time and preparation. you dont just figure that out "on the fly"... then at the club, when im playing a track... i know ive got a choice between about 5 or so songs to mix with, depending where i want to take the mood/feel of the set... If your a good DJ, you should be preparing a set folder of about 150 or so songs, knowing that youll only probably play 30 or so in your set, but at the same time you know youve got the options, and you know which tracks go with which...

i dont know about you, but i certainly dont think i would have gotten to play at all the venues which i have, and met the people i have... if i just did things "on the fly"

id probably still be playing down at the local bar, or trying my luck in DJ comps...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast