Is vinyl dead? Is digital Djing finally taking over?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Is vinyl dead? Is digital Djing finally taking over?

As many of you know by now Technics has ended the production of the amazing 1200 turntables, what does this mean for many djs out there? Of course there are other companies still making turntables like Stanton, Vestax, Numark but how much time are they going to last? And also I know there are products like Traktor and Serato that have created interfaces so that turntables can be used with their respective programs, but what if you don’t have a turntable anymore? As time goes on the Digital djing world it’s getting bigger and bigger, basically new equipment is coming out almost monthly now it’s sometimes overwhelming for all of us that love technology, everything now its controllers and interfaces to work with do you guys think this is a good thing or a bad thing?

Like many djs have said in the past vinyl if the way to start, but where is the vinyl? Does not using vinyl makes me a less of a dj than others? I don’t think so but this is something’s that comes out from time to time, to me it comes down to personal preference and from what you can get to start making music.

Feel free to let me know your opinions on this I think it’s a very interesting topic thanks guys.
    -Bitpix- Don't do the same re-mix your life.

Huh? Vinyl's over. It's a good thing for most people but for some it is a travesty. You're still a DJ and I'm sure you're a very nice gentleman as well.

Posting in a time machine thread.

vynils good for nothing but making decoration out of it. due to the hole in the bottom you cant even fill it with liquids.

serious: i think vinyls/vinyl-djs are a cool thing but digital-djing(i include dvs to this) just brought so much stuff to the table, that i dont see a reason to use vinyl-only other then the nostalgy ( or whatever its called in english)

Tectonics is going to stop producing the 12's but you can still get a new or used pair. Playing on vinyl shows you the basics when it comes to djing, now technology has taking the hard work out and let the DJ be more creative.

Qoute of the Day: Vinyl is Dead, just like the Smiths...No matter how much we bitch, we cant bring them back.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Bitpix View Post
    As many of you know by now Technics has ended the production of the amazing 1200 turntables, what does this mean for many djs out there? Of course there are other companies still making turntables like Stanton, Vestax, Numark but how much time are they going to last? And also I know there are products like Traktor and Serato that have created interfaces so that turntables can be used with their respective programs, but what if you don’t have a turntable anymore? As time goes on the Digital djing world it’s getting bigger and bigger, basically new equipment is coming out almost monthly now it’s sometimes overwhelming for all of us that love technology, everything now its controllers and interfaces to work with do you guys think this is a good thing or a bad thing?

Like many djs have said in the past vinyl if the way to start, but where is the vinyl? Does not using vinyl makes me a less of a dj than others? I don’t think so but this is something’s that comes out from time to time, to me it comes down to personal preference and from what you can get to start making music.

Feel free to let me know your opinions on this I think it’s a very interesting topic thanks guys.
    Id say vinyl is dead at this point. I know every ten years vinyl is dead and then somehow makes a come back. But this time I dont think thats the case, at least for the DJ.

For the music lover the indie hipster dufus type vinyle is probably not dying anytime soon. Bands still release stuff on vinyle, 7 inchs last i checked where still alive and well within the smaller scenes, Punk mostly but ska to.

But for the DJ the days of having to lug a coffin full of 1200s, a mixer & a crate of records are pretty much over. I know I see Ron D core still spins vinyle and prodly claims hes the only REAL dj left cuase he spins vinyl however really i think with that statement he is saying, Im afraid of technolgy and i dont want to change. and thats fine, in ten years he will either be a novelty or doing somthing else with his time.

As someone who started Djing in 98 and has the aforementioned coffin with 2 1200s, a mixer, & countless crates of vinyl goodness (GOD that thing takes up SOOOO much room, My cat love it though its like one of those cat trees they sell.) I jumped on going digital the second I saw the technology. I add a CDJ back in 98 when really only big names and Euro djs where using them. And then when I saw what could be done with abelton I was just Awestruck. I remember sitting here at my desktop, I had finished playing poker for the day and had like 3 hours to kil b4 the wife came home. I went to you tube and searched for warping videos. Within an hour or two I was using abelton to DJ. My wife came home I ripped my headphones off and said, Alright we can sell the 1200's.

And lets be honest here, With Abelton (tracktor etc..) DJing becomes an art its not longer mixing two records together. You can reconstruct an entire track LIVE, which U could never do unless u have skills like Dj craze or Qbert.
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

Tech Guru

Once there becomes an "Industry Standard" controller based turntable that can preform up to technics standards and do even more. Sure vinyl will be over.
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Tech Wizard

It's not dead. People have called out its death since the late 80s (when CDs first outsold records).

I give you that much: it's getting marginalized even more than it used to. But it will never die. Myself and many ppl I know still purchase a few "special" records on vinyl. We keep our 1200s. Good thing that Technics are build to last

Imo, there's something peculiar to DJing with actual records (as opposed to TCs). There's a certain magic to it which isn't easily recreated with digital setups. Look at Sven Vaeth, for example, who's still spinning vinyl almost exclusively. Not saying he's my hero or anything but I cannot imagine him being the type of DJ that his is with DVS or controllers

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Abyrne7 View Post
    Once there becomes an "Industry Standard" controller based turntable that can preform up to technics standards and do even more. Sure vinyl will be over.
    I think once technics stopped selling the 1200-1210 that pretty much marks the end of Vinyl DJS. Numark, vestex etc turntables are crap and cant stay locked to save their lives.
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

Thanks a lot for all of you guys responses on this, is really interesting to me also really cool to see the different types of thinking when it comes to this topic, hope more ppl pitch in and give there points thanks again.
    -Bitpix- Don't do the same re-mix your life.

Are muscle cars dead?

That's how I look at it really. There will ALWAYS be a place for vinyl. It's just one of the true foundations of music as an industry. But now (relatively speaking) we can't easily go out and buy a brand new set of Technics 1200's. So the muscle car of our past, isn't in production anymore.

There will always be a market for records, albeit small. Above all other forms of media, I really feel that they aren't going anywhere. But it's not going to be the "main" form of transportation anymore. It's going to be a collective of enthusiasts, and others will be able to bask in the glory of "what once was" if you will.

I think vinyl always will have it's place in DJing. There's something truly magical about seeing someone get up there and just spin a nasty set on vinyl, and vinyl only. But as it being the norm? We're already pretty much past that point.

The future is before us, and honestly right now we are just getting into technology as it stands. I honestly feel that CDJ's as we see them will become extinct in the near future, but the basic concepts will still be there. How many people do you know who actually BUY CD's nowadays.

The controller concept is the future. I'm waiting on Pioneer to jump into the game, and make a "CDJ" without an actual CD drive.

But in the end, we'll always have diehard fans of particular forms of hardware. Be it analogue or digital, people enjoy what they grew up with and are comfortable on.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast