What to do about Ableton problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What to do about Ableton problems

I have spent the last few weeks learning Ableton Live in and out, and I have decided that I want to start using it full time instead of FL, and I'm considering buying the full version.

And that was all good until I started having problems. Randomly, the CPU meter will start spiking until I start to get clipping (it slowly gets worse and worse). Obviously, since I want to use Live in a performance setting, this is completely unacceptable. The CPU spike are in Ableton only, a quick look at the task manager shows no CPU spiking at all.

I have looked everywhere for a solution to this on line. I have reformatted my HD, updated drivers, disabled devices, tried different buffer sizes. You name it, and I've tried it. I also tried emailing Ableton and still haven't heard back from them.

So what do I do? I'm running Vista right now. Should I take a risk and go buy XP, which might not even help? Or should I go buy a new computer (which would be another PC), which still might not even help?

Edit: If I were going to buy a new computer, the best time to do it would be in the coming weeks. I'll actually have money.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

I've never heard of that happening, but your best bet would be to post on the following two forums, as people here mostly use Traktor.

Ableton Live DJ

Ableton Forums
    The enemy's gate is DOWN.

MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz C2D | 120 GB HDD | 3 GB RAM | 250 GB EX HDD
    Mac Pro | 2x2.88 Ghz Quad-Core | 320 GB HDD | 6 GB RAM | 1 TB EX HDD
    Ableton Suite | Akai APC 80 | Torq Xponent

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

ableton doesnt like vista

I'd try to offer my help, but I haven't used Ableton on Windows in about 5 years.

Maybe read up on DPC latency and figure out if your laptop has a problem with it?
    You could try XP?

Or you could do the easy thing and get an Apple. Seriously…what's wrong with things being easy for a change?

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I'd try to offer my help, but I haven't used Ableton on Windows in about 5 years.

Maybe read up on DPC latency and figure out if your laptop has a problem with it?
    You could try XP?

Or you could do the easy thing and get an Apple. Seriously…what's wrong with things being easy for a change?
    I already looked into the DPC issue. Nothing.

I would love to get a Macbook but I'm a poor student and coming up with an extra $1,000 on top of tuition is just not happening...
    LamboxMusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    ableton doesnt like vista
    I had the same exact thing with vista pc aids edition.

A new laptop is the way to go.. I went to best buy.. asked for open box.. got a 900$ laptop for 700$ ,,, even brand new they are over the top cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    I already looked into the DPC issue. Nothing.

I would love to get a Macbook but I'm a poor student and coming up with an extra $1,000 on top of tuition is just not happening...
    When does it happen?

What version are you on?

You should definitely be on at least 8.2 if you have Live 8. If it's cracked then you're s.o.l. most likely and buying the software should help.
    Last edited by greatwhitedope; 12-11-2010 at 05:02 PM.
    MacBook Pro (2.66 i7| 8GB RAM| 500 GB 7200 RPM) | Ableton 8 Suite | Logic Pro 9 | Kontrol S4 | AIAIAI TMA-1 | Akai MPK 25 | Apogee Duet 2 | KRK RP5s

It happens only after I've been using Ableton on one project for a while. This includes if I save a file and come back to it later.

I'm using the newest version.

I'm not using a crack, it's actually the trial version I've been using while I learn.
    LamboxMusic.com

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

try XP or get a used macbook. old macs still perform a lot better than most of the pcs around, even with lower specs

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    try XP or get a used macbook. old macs still perform a lot better than most of the pcs around, even with lower specs
    I'm kind of leaning towards the Macbook option, especially because I can sell the laptop that I have now.

Does anyone have any experience buying older/refurbished Macbooks?
    LamboxMusic.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast