How do you arrange burning music to CD?
    Tech Guru

Default How do you arrange burning music to CD?

I'm looking to burn a load of stuff to CD. Haven't really done so for DJ purposes since selling my CDJ's. I used to find I'd have the same track on a couple/few discs purely from not really giving a shit about organisation. I'm looking to be super organised with what I burn now as I am travelling & need to keep weight down. Just wondering what other peeps do when it comes to organising shit to burn. i.e. Do you do it in order of a playlist you got in mind? Do you just burn new shit to disc when you got the right amount of new tracks to warrant burning to disc? Do you do it in any particular order that makes life easy when playing live?

I'm thinking about what if you got a tune on a disc that you want to mix into another tune on the same disc? Is it worth cramming as many tracks on to a disc as poss and always burning 2 copies so you never run into a problem of not being able to mix 2 tracks on the same disc?

Also, how do peeps on here deal with labelling your discs? I find if I write on the disc itself there's never enough room. I am also not a fan of having dedicated places in a CD wallet with a track listing of each disc on a bit of papaer in each pouch as I am into fast mixing and having to find the right sleeve for each disc every time you put em back takes up too much time.

Any hints appreciated

It sounds like you want a little of both worlds. The easy uncomplicated method of burning stuff to CD's and haphazardly throwing them into the wallet, and the ultra organized method.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately myself. Right now the tentative plan is to buy CDJ's, and go through a few months of terrible mixing until I get things right by ear. But actually having the organization is key as far as the CD collection goes.

Some folks only burn 1 track to a CD. I know that it seems an awful waste of digital space, but it also means they know what's on the CD easily and they won't be looking for other tracks on the same CD. If you bring a case with a couple hundred CD's, all with one track on them, you should be pretty well set.

The other method would be potentially burning Mp3 CD's and keeping them quite organized digitally with various folders. This is limited by the browser on your player, but it could be easily done to have a LOT of tracks on a few CD's if it's done properly and you can find them easily on your player.

The other method is burning about 10 tracks to a CD. And making sure I put it back in the same place in the wallet everytime, and having a tracklisting next to it. Organize the tracks how you want (same artist, genre, speed, energy or whatever). If there's a banger of a track that you might want to mix in at any time, burning that track to it's own CD still isn't a bad idea. But for the vast majority of tunes, having 10 to a CD or so is easily navigatable.

I know it sounds a bit over the top, but right now I'm leaning toward burning a single CD per track. It seems like the easiest way I can stay organized and switch things up. It's will require a lot of CD switching, but I'm game for that.

The other option being USB stick in the future, and that just opens a whole other can of worms.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Guru

Thanks for that man. I dont think Im up for 1 track per CD. I'm travelling and need to keep the amount of CD's I carry to a minimum.

I think I'm gonna stick to 10-15 tracks per CD and burn off 2 copies of each. That way I wont ever run into the problem of wanting to mix to tracks off the same CD, and also I'll be able to bust out some juggling.

Now its just a case of how I'm gonna label everything up.

what i do is make 3 CDs (plus Doubles) of each type of music. This is how i do it. I get a playlist from Traktor New Wave 115 - 125 BPM. It has about 150 songs. I open iTunes and make a new playlist with the same name. Then I break down the cds to 15 per cds and I end up with 45 tracks of for sure songs that Im going to play.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |