Using synch in tsp...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Using sync in tsp...

This is kinda hard to describe but here goes. When im mixing and im using the sync feature, i dont think it sounds 100% bang on. Ive spent quite a while beatgridding my tracks, following the tutorials from the traktor bible, they all start on beat 1.1.1 when ive gridded them they all sound bang on with the "tick" playing alongside the track, yet when i try to do a mix some how they just dont seem to match perfectly, now i dont know whether it could be me the way i use the levels ie when im bringing the bass down on one and the bass up on the other, cos some times it almost sounds like they are kinda cancelling each other out, anyone any ideas on what i might be doing wrong?

If you dont get what im saying have a quick play thru this mix and listen to some of the transitions and hopefully you will get my drift

http://soundcloud.com/paul-mac/kontrol-mix
    Last edited by paulmac; 12-12-2010 at 04:14 PM.
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

remember mate, sync matches the grids, not the beats so if they sound a bit off or phased you will need to adjust the grid accordingly. happens to me all the time: i think i've gridded a certain tune perfect but in the mix it just sounds off. usually a bit of on the fly adjustment sorts that for me tho.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

yeah, i was messing around before and using the 2 top arrows to adjust the grid left or right seemed to make the necassary adjustment for it to sound right.. just a bummer having to mess around on your keyboard doin it..
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

where do you drop the grid? right on the peak of the beat? a good little tricks is to bring it back slightly just before that peak maybe 3 clicks.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

tbh i usually drop the grid bang on the 1st beat, then i skip thru the song to make sure its goo all the way thru as the phases of the song change. i read in the traktor bible the very 1st beat always needs to read 1.1.1

it doesnt matter where you put the first marker as long as it is consistent right through, so you are on the right track there. the 1.1.1 thing refers to the beats/beats to cue yeah? it will always show 1.1.1 on the grid marker regardless of where you put it.

kk, i will have a scoot thru them and see if there is some minor adjustments i can do to em, so where do u usually drop your grid marker then? maybe il try a different way see if i get a better result with it

Some quick observations after listening for 24 minutes.

1) good track selection (what is track 2?)
    2) these observations are kind of nit-picky

transition 1-2: excellent

transition 2-3: phrasing off (btw track 3 Gospel is awesome)

transition 3-4: Great; 2-4 beats before in coming track's (track 4) bass line drops felt flat. Maybe gradually cut the bass eq on outgoing track earlier

transition 4-5: Bass eq levels again; it also sounded like it might have been out of phase by two beats; it is hard to tell on 4x4 beats, but super easy when playing jungle.

Overall, excellent job and great selections.
    PC | TSP2 | A8 | S4 | X1 | T1200MK2

Beat Gridding Tutorial

cheers for takin some time and seeing what i meant about it sounding a little off some places, and thanks for the advice appreciate it a lot

Tom Def - Pleasure
    Transistor - Alpha 1
    Min & Mal Blotox
    Format B - Gospel
    Joel Fletcher - Bugging Device
    John Tejada - Sweat (on the walls)
    Franky Rizardo - Afrika
    Stefano Noferini - Mama
    sebjak - bigger
    Christian Smith - East Village
    Falko Richtberg - Salt 'n' Bread
    Koen Groeneveld - Cvr
    Dan Caster - Dirty Girl
    Green Velvet - La La Land

@ paul i usually drop mine on the first obvious beat, not on an intro section but a good spot where i can mix from. With house its usually right on that first beat but with trance the beats dont usually start till around the 45 sec mark. i'll grab a couple of example screenies to show ya.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast