Ortofon MF6 Cartridge

Default Ortofon MF6 Cartridge

I have my first Technics 1200 coming in the mail, but it dosnt come with a cart. After doing some research i found that this one seems like a good cart for what i would be doing.

I am wanting to use the turntable to learn how to scatch some, but also maybe mix some songs as well. So I guess im looking for kinda an all around scatch/mix cart? but maybe a little more emphisis on scatching? (for now at least

Thanks everybody!
    2x Midi-Fighters, 1x Technics 1200MK2, Xone 2:02, Traktor Pro 2, Macbook Pro 13', Audio 2, circuit bent Gameboy, aaaaand some poopy Logitech speakerz.

bump??? if anyone has any cartridge suggestions that would be nice toooo
    2x Midi-Fighters, 1x Technics 1200MK2, Xone 2:02, Traktor Pro 2, Macbook Pro 13', Audio 2, circuit bent Gameboy, aaaaand some poopy Logitech speakerz.

Shure M44-7s all the way for me. As far as I'm concerned it's the perfect balance of sound, tracking, unskippability, and bass if you're playing vinyl. If you're just playing DVS there's not a whole lot of difference unless you're scratching. I like to scratch (even though I suck at it) and in my experience I get the least skipping and the least record wear from these than any others I've tried. I love the sound of ortofon needles but the only set I've tried (and I still own them and occasionally break them out) are too harsh on records. I noticed it because I was playing an old thin record, some kind of advertisement record from the 50s or something; you could hear the record degrading with every play, literally (it was immediate if you did a backspin or scratch). In normal play you're not going to notice it that much, and it was a totally different cartridge than the MF6 so I don't know if it's a good comparison. But for me the 44-7 is the best all around and extremely reliable cartridge.

(I also can't stand concorde style carts, for what it's worth).

There's a LOT of information out there about needles and cartridges. There was a time when I could explain the differences in the shape of the stylus of different brands and such. But in the end it's a pretty individual thing; just try out a needle and see if it works for you. The Ortofons you're talking about are a reasonable enough price that if you hate them you can buy another set in a few months. The Shures will set you back a few more (you can get them for about $70 a cartridge, maybe a few more if you want it pre-mounted on a headshell). If you're planning to do more scratching I would recommend the Shures.

Thanks! I will probably go with the shures just to be safe. Thats all i've read from other sites and forums thats the M44-7's are like the industry standards

447s seem to be the "all around" great needle/cart. But the MF6 is apparently a really good alternative

http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/ortofon_mf.php

good review of em