Macbook Pro Screen Sizes and Model

Default Macbook Pro Screen Sizes and Model

thinking of making the switch for a mac book pro...
    what do you guys think for screen sizes 13 15 17? I use both traktor and serato.

are their major performance differences across models with different screen sizes?

Tech Wizard

Is price factoring into your decision at all?

I don't have any live performance experience but I love my 15" for music stuff in the house (and also daily tasks and schoolwork)

It's big enough that you can fit a lot of information on the screen but small enough that it's really portable. I have the basic model (didn't upgrade the processor) and I've never run into performance issues with audio stuff (or video stuff - Adobe Premiere). A friend of mine upgraded to the i7 and it handles Adobe After Effects and other high demand software like a champ.

I upgraded to the Matte Hi-res screen. Personally, I love it and think it was definitely worth the extra money (although it seemed a little costly at first). This is primarily personal opinion as I know number of people who like the black boarder around the screen (on the glossy model) and don't care about having more pixels. To me, I feel like I can fit a bit more stuff on the screen due to the pixels (but maybe I'm exaggerating/imagining) and I love the matte screen (personally I think its much easier to focus without all the reflections and maybe easier on the eyes). Im not sure if apple stores stock them but if you have an apple store near you, I'd reccomend going in and seeing if they have the anti-glare model and compare it side by side with the standard glossy.

Quote Originally Posted by epidemik View Post
    Is price factoring into your decision at all?

I don't have any live performance experience but I love my 15" for music stuff in the house (and also daily tasks and schoolwork)

It's big enough that you can fit a lot of information on the screen but small enough that it's really portable. I have the basic model (didn't upgrade the processor) and I've never run into performance issues with audio stuff (or video stuff - Adobe Premiere). A friend of mine upgraded to the i7 and it handles Adobe After Effects and other high demand software like a champ.

I upgraded to the Matte Hi-res screen. Personally, I love it and think it was definitely worth the extra money (although it seemed a little costly at first). This is primarily personal opinion as I know number of people who like the black boarder around the screen (on the glossy model) and don't care about having more pixels. To me, I feel like I can fit a bit more stuff on the screen due to the pixels (but maybe I'm exaggerating/imagining) and I love the matte screen (personally I think its much easier to focus without all the reflections and maybe easier on the eyes). Im not sure if apple stores stock them but if you have an apple store near you, I'd reccomend going in and seeing if they have the anti-glare model and compare it side by side with the standard glossy.
    thanks a lot for the input!!
    Im not really into music production, I just do the occasional edit here and there. Is it worth upgrading to the i7 processor or is a core 2 duo sufficient enough for djing and stability?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Tiefer View Post
    thanks a lot for the input!!
    Im not really into music production, I just do the occasional edit here and there. Is it worth upgrading to the i7 processor or is a core 2 duo sufficient enough for djing and stability?
    Core 2 Duo is probably sufficient but I'd highly reccomend at least an i5 (which means the 15" is probably your best bet - 13" doesn't have i5). In terms of preparing for the future, the Core 2 Duo is not going to be around much longer. Rumors are the MBP line will be revamped in Early 2011/January and might bring new intel technology with it.

http://www.applebitch.com/2010/11/29...sd-light-peak/

But as that post points out, a lot of people are doubting the SSD due to price.

Tech Student

Depending on budget, you may be able to get away with an older Macbook Pro. I run a 17" Pro 2.5 core duo and have never had a problem running Traktor with every option running (full effects/ keylock on). Live 8 runs without issue also. The 17" is great for seeing Traktor full screen, it's just a bit heavy and well big to carry around. I wouldn't suggest anything smaller than a 15" if you are Dj'n with it.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by epidemik View Post
    Core 2 Duo is probably sufficient but I'd highly reccomend at least an i5 (which means the 15" is probably your best bet - 13" doesn't have i5). In terms of preparing for the future, the Core 2 Duo is not going to be around much longer. Rumors are the MBP line will be revamped in Early 2011/January and might bring new intel technology with it.

http://www.applebitch.com/2010/11/29...sd-light-peak/

But as that post points out, a lot of people are doubting the SSD due to price.
    Yeah, the same things are on MacRumors and Engadget. Most likely they will, however. Apple has a tendency to upgrade their products every couple years or so. It's also rumored to be running the new OS Lion.

EDIT: If they do revamp it, there will DEFINITELY be Lion on it. Just looked at the page on Apple's site. Sorry Steve Jobs, I don't want my mac to become an iPad with a keyboard...