I currently have VC-100, but should I go for external

Default I currently have VC-100, but should I go for external

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are. I have a VCI-100 which I really enjoy, although I'd love it to be easier to do 3-4 deck mixing. I'm starting to wonder what would the advantages of going for an external set up with an X1 and mixer. Or should I stick with the VCI, let me know your thoughts.

I vote external. I use my VCI mainly as an effects unit, my midi-fighter to play and cue songs, and my mixer to...well you get the idea.

That way I can keep the VCI in FX mode and play with the faders and not have to worry about bumping the cross fader or going into regular or juggle mode and thinking I'm in FX and hit the fader and completely mess up my mix.

I have an Ecler mixer and the robust knobs were a big draw for me too. The VCI is awesome but the EQ is a little too crowded for me.

I'm sure with the X1 your set-up would be similar but with a few more FX controls at your finger tips.
    Last edited by OhNoNolan; 12-15-2010 at 04:55 PM.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Dont sell that Pioneer mixer man... there's love in that one

Those 600s are f*cking bad still!

;-)
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Next time you're in London pop in at mine and see how you feel.
    Tony the Pony.
    My soundcloud page. House, mainly.

Mixcloud & Website coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
    Next time you're in London pop in at mine and see how you feel.
    I'm in London every weekday and even the whole of this weekend!

Tech Wizard

I vote external, the more I play with my Mixtrack, the more I feel limited by it. I think the shape and everything makes it that much harder to want to do something a little bit differently. I've been thinking about getting two midi fighters and an X1. I feel like that would be a pimp-ass setup. And a mixer, of course. I can live without jog wheels, honestly

Quote Originally Posted by NemSim View Post
    I vote external, the more I play with my Mixtrack, the more I feel limited by it. I think the shape and everything makes it that much harder to want to do something a little bit differently. I've been thinking about getting two midi fighters and an X1. I feel like that would be a pimp-ass setup. And a mixer, of course. I can live without jog wheels, honestly
    thats not the most portable set up if you played out in a club though is it?

I've got a cover and new knobs for the VCI for xmas so hoping pimping it I'll start really loving it. But at the moment my main problem is being a bit unhappy with the internal EQ's. I really need to give myself more time to get things working how I want, at the moment i just feel from the 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock there is a really steep curve bringing the levels in, with whatever EQ set up I pick.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ohmydaze View Post
    thats not the most portable set up if you played out in a club though is it?
    When I play a club I'll let you know

I don't think it would be too bad, though. I mean, my laptop fits in the sleeve, the rest of the bag can comfortably house some midi fighters and the x1 is skinny. Assuming the club has a decent mixer, I can slide the x1 in there and put the midi fighters off to the side or on a piece of foam or something.