Abelton DJ's..... MP3's or WAV's

Default Abelton DJ's..... MP3's or WAV's

A question to all the ableton dj's, do you store all your music as mp3's or wav's? The reason i ask is because i use my laptop for both producing and dj-ing and have very little room left on my hard drive as it. The obvious solution was of coarse to buy an external hard drive, which i have. But now i've just found out, any mp3 file you import into ableton automatically has a WAV copy made of it and put into somewhere called the decoding cache.

Any tips??

* I receive my mp3s in highest possible setting. (320kbps)
    * I export my ableton projects into 24bit wavs after which I encode it into 320kbps mp3s by means of lame encoder. (Exact Audio Copy)
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

I too have a problem with space on my laptop and use 320kbps mp3's with no noticeable audio degradation.

Tech Mentor

320 mp3s are significantly smaller then wavs. i honestly dont know anyone that would go with wavs over 320 mp3.

One plus with wavs is that your computer does not have to decode them into a wav before it can play the tune, saving a little cpu. I personally use mp3's, the cpu used is not enough to justify wav's in my opinion.