Partition Help

Thread: Partition Help

Tech Mentor

Default Partition Help

Hey guys i just got my new laptop and i partitioned a section of it to use for dj'n...but how can i boot into it? I understand i have to install another os i have a rigged version of windows 7 ultimate i was gonna use. But do i really need to boot into it? Any help would be appreciated Oh this is a windows 7 machine.

Thanks
    -Ben

You have to install the OS on it first to actually boot it. You can't boot an empty partition as there's nothing there to boot.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by OmniRoss View Post
    You have to install the OS on it first to actually boot it. You can't boot an empty partition as there's nothing there to boot.
    Hehe.

I recommend doing a google of dual boot Windows7. Microsoft should have info and there are plenty of partition tools out there. All-in-all dual boot is fairly easy but I have never done it with W7 so there may be some gotchas.

Tech Mentor

Yeah i figured i would have to install it...i just gotta find a way to get into it...

Looks like i have to install windows and choose the partition. easy enough
    Last edited by BennyJ; 12-17-2010 at 02:30 PM.

In the BIOS you need to change the boot sequence to the DVD drive as first device. Then, turn the laptop on with the DVD in the drive and it should try to go to the install sequence on the Windows disk. At some point the Wizard will ask what drive to install to and you choose the empty one.

SIMPLES.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Mentor

Thanks guys...ill brb lol

Is there a way to name the other one when the dual boot menu comes up?? or else imma have windows 7 and windows 7 lol

Tech Mentor

ok so i tried it but it says windows cant be installed on a dynamic disk....there doesnt seem to be a way to switch it to basic...