Do I need firewire?

Default Do I need firewire?

first of all let me introduce myself as this is my first post. I'm from Austria and started digital djing thanks to Ean Golden i was so impressed by his youtube videos that I bought myself a VCI-100 and Traktor 3. Love that combination!

at the moment i use a m-audio fasttrack pro usb-card as I have no firewire interface on my notebook (HP). Now I'm planning on buying a new macbook as I think it is more reliable if I'm taking the next step to play at some small clubs in Vienna. what i wanted to ask is your hones opinion about if the combination macbook (not pro) and fasttrack pro is realiable enough? or could someone maybe suggest a usb 2.0 card which is comparable to firewire cards?
    I'm also doing a lot of homerecording with my Band (Rock/Pop), so the recording quality is also an issue.
    thanks in advance!

Your MacBook is suitable for that work. You should have no problems whatsoever.

And.. Welcome to DJTT!!
    DJTechTools - The Best Online Digital DJ Resource!
    Gear: December 2010 or 1st Quarter 2011
    Music: 80s, 90s, Old School Freestyle, Club/Dance, Hip-Hop/R&B, House/Tribal, Chillout/Lounge, Latin

OK, thanks! But what about the soundcard? To be honest, I'm not 100% satisfied with the fasttrack pro, as it is only usb 1.0 which I sense when I use a lot of vst's and effects. although when djing I've never had a problem with it...

Well.. USB 1.0 soundcard will not yield the same as a 2.0c card.
    NI Audio 8DJ (USB 2.0), the Firebox is a great card (Firewire).. besides a couple more.

Also.. your budget will allow us to help you choose better..
    Last edited by Julio; 12-10-2008 at 12:39 PM.
    DJTechTools - The Best Online Digital DJ Resource!
    Gear: December 2010 or 1st Quarter 2011
    Music: 80s, 90s, Old School Freestyle, Club/Dance, Hip-Hop/R&B, House/Tribal, Chillout/Lounge, Latin

Using lots of effects and stuff isnt going to slow anything down just because you are using a usb 1 soundcard. All that sort of processing is done inside the computer itself. If your latency is decent enough and you get a nice sound out of your card - you know what they say "if its dont broken dont fix it".

Upgrading your card will allow you to achieve lower latency and perhaps a better sound quality depending on the quality of the audio components used inside the card.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio View Post
    Well.. USB 1.0 soundcard will not yield the same as a 2.0c card.
    NI Audio 8DJ (USB 2.0), the Firebox is a great card (Firewire).. besides a couple more.

Also.. your budget will allow us to help you choose better..
    well I was thinking of around 300Eur (220$). Is there a possibility to find a USB2.0 card at that range that is nearly equal to a firewire-card? as i said, i need it djing AND recording. I would really love to buy the new macbook, that's why I am asking in the first place....

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Using lots of effects and stuff isnt going to slow anything down just because you are using a usb 1 soundcard. All that sort of processing is done inside the computer itself. If your latency is decent enough and you get a nice sound out of your card - you know what they say "if its dont broken dont fix it".

Upgrading your card will allow you to achieve lower latency and perhaps a better sound quality depending on the quality of the audio components used inside the card.
    BentoSan,
    What do you consider a decent latency is? Above what value you'd say issues start to arise?
    I'm on an Audio 8 DJ....
    MacBook Pro late 2009 3.06ghz, 4GB RAM, 500gb HD @ 7200 RPM, Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 6, VCI 100, Audio 8 DJ

Quote Originally Posted by jgcamil View Post
    BentoSan,
    What do you consider a decent latency is? Above what value you'd say issues start to arise?
    I'm on an Audio 8 DJ....
    It all depends on your system, basicly you want to aim for an overal 10ms latency - thats from the point you press the button to the time it takes the audio to come out the speakers.

You will find your midi device might have 2-3ms latency so your audio latency should be under 7-8ms to make up for a total of 10ms.