How did you?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you?

Tech Mentor

Default How did you?

How did everyone get past the whole roadblock of what equiptment to use when playing at a venue? The reason i ask is, I've heard some people bash me behind my back for using controllers as opposed to turntables or CDJs. Even as a beginner, I'm trying to formulate what I should use and practice with, I guess what I'm trying to get at is I'm used to the "ideal dj" image of someone on huge turntables. How did everyone get past that notion - and also what would be a standard "ideal" gear set to use at venues.
    Live Gear : MacBook Pro 13" & 15" (depends which one I grab), Kontrol S4, Midi-Fighter, Shure SRH750DJ, Dedication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    itajen just told Chilly to read the fucking manual... lol
    *takes hat off and bows to itajen*
    Be the change you want to see in the world.

Good question! I have an advantage being in a small town, I create my own dj nights using my connections in the local bar scene, and no one can say $hit about my gear choices because I've got more bookings than them.

Seriously, Put on a good show and make the promoters some cash and it won't matter what you use. Bring the gear that you are most comfortable with so that you perform well, rock your set, and who cares what other DJ's say. Unless you are using an "industry standard" like technic 1200s or CDJ 1000s you will probably get flak. Just keep in mind that the people on the dancefloor are the only ones that really matter, and if they're happy, you're doing just fine.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Real DJ's make people dance. If you're doing that who gives a sh*t about how you're doing it.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

The people on the dancefloor are the ones writing your check, and they don't care or even know what kind of gear you're using. There will always be the "LOL YOU'RE NOT BEATMATCHING WITH AN AUTHENTIC SCHWITZLINE GRAMOPHONE YOU'RE NOT A REAL DJ!!!" people with regard to any new technology (hell, BPM detection on CDJs used to be "cheating").

I'm always a bit boggled by the people that consider switching from controllers to traditional setups just for the sake of image. There's no need to put limitations on yourself like that.

Tech Guru

I didnt have to, i started with 1210's about 111 years ago, then moved to cdj's, then traktor scratch pro.

ive won competitons using just vinyl, and just CDJ's, people know what im capable of but i always make sure i have cd's in my record bag with tracks and tools to create an impromptu battle set to shut anyone up who decides to give agro, then ask them if they want to take me on
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Guru

This year they will talk shit about you for using controllers. In 2 years, they'll talk about how you were playing out on controllers before anyone else.

Don't sweat it.

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    This year they will talk shit about you for using controllers. In 2 years, they'll talk about how you were playing out on controllers before anyone else.

Don't sweat it.

Definitely +1 to that.

Tech Mentor

Equipment------
    --HP Dv6T Select Editon. i5 6gb DDR3, backlit keys and touchscreen.

Laugh at them and tell them that your audio is higher fidelity than vinyl and that you're just trying to squeeze all the performance out of the sound system that you can.

Remember, garbage in-garbage out also applies to amplifiers and speakers.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Laugh at them and tell them that your audio is higher fidelity than vinyl and that you're just trying to squeeze all the performance out of the sound system that you can.

Remember, garbage in-garbage out also applies to amplifiers and speakers.
    Your digital files are lower in fidelity than vinyl. Most of us are using mp3's and while we try and get higer quality files it's still a lossy compression. You lose some of the quieter bits because the algorithim says it's not needed. If your spinning a DVS set and switch to actual vinyl the difference is substantial.
    DVS setup: Traktor Scratch Pro, 2 X Denon DPDJ-101, Numark DXM06, Novation Dicer, Compaq Presario F750CA, Audio 8DJ
    Controller setup: Traktor Scratch Pro, 2 X Denon DN-SC2000, Denon DN120X, Compaq Presario F750CA, Audio 2DJ,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast