Can someone explain the benefit of VST hosting with Maschine
    Tech Guru

Default Can someone explain the benefit of VST hosting with Maschine

Just like the title asks. I'm not clear on what the benefit is of VST hosting. How will this speed along workflow? I was reading a post that talked about hosting Kontakt for time stretching? That definitely intrigued me. What would make it so great to host Kontakt through Maschine.

The part that confuses me about VST's is to me that just seems like more playing with the mouse, which goes against what the Maschine is all about, getting into the groove/controkker. I'm assuming Maschine can't directly control the VSTs?

VST's can be controlled via Midi. So you can map certain aspects of it.

Are you talking about using it for production or performances?
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    I'm assuming Maschine can't directly control the VSTs?
    That's exactly what they're talking about.

But, I think you're confused about what they mean. They're not talking about the Maschine hardware when used as a midi controller such as in Carl Cox's DJ setup. They're talking about the Maschine application–controlled by the Maschine hardware–used as a production tool.

What it means is that you can use VST instruments and effects in productions that you create with the Maschine application instead of being limited to the instruments included within the Maschine application.

Imagine an MPC or some kind of sample-based groove box that could use software synths in addition to the samples loaded into its memory.

What it means is that NI is trying to take on Ableton in regard to the live production aspects of Ableton Live, and it looks like they're probably doing a decent job of it, opening up that type of performance–at least–to the people who used to make beats with an MPC with a much simpler interface than the complex animal that is Ableton Live. I don't think I'd like it as well, but I know there are a lot of people who would.

If you're using the Maschine hardware to control Traktor, however, it probably means nothing to you.
    Last edited by mostapha; 12-21-2010 at 09:41 AM.