Recently made the switch from vdj to Traktor, does traktor have this feature?

Default Recently made the switch from vdj to Traktor, does traktor have this feature?

Hey guys, as the topic states, I've recently made the switch from VDJ to Traktor, and I'm loving it, it's certainly a more configurable and robust piece of software.

However, there is one fantastic feature of vdj that I can't seem to find anywhere in Traktor, and I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction, or let me know if it's not possible.

when you analyse your library with vdj, it scans the key of the track as well as bpm. This allows for harmonic mixing by staying in the same key, or by mixing from Abm into Dbm etc. It even has a 'compatible songs' browser, mening I don't need to search my library. however, Traktor doesn't seem to gather this information about my files.

After some googling I found some software that wil ldo this for me (mix in key - $60) and will write the key information into the mp3 tags. But before I purchase this, I thought I'd ask here, Is there any way to make traktor do this? after purchasing the software to 'upgrade' from vdj, it would be an annoyance to have to shell out more cash in order to have a feature I had in the 'inferior' software

If there is a way to do this let me know, cheers guys.

(Traktor is still the superior software in other areas regardless, particularly in beatjuggling with hotcues, and by having actual decent effects ^_^)

No, traktor does not have this feature. though i wouldnt spend $60 on a bit of software just to find the key. i think mixmeister writes the key to the mp3 tag when it scans your library, you could probably just use that.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    No, traktor does not have this feature. though i wouldnt spend $60 on a bit of software just to find the key. i think mixmeister writes the key to the mp3 tag when it scans your library, you could probably just use that.
    Unfortunately it does not have this feature as stated here.

On that note, I have a version of mixmeister installed. I shall give this a try when I get home!
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

Tech Guru

Search the homepage for harmonic mixing and it will show you all the different softwares that do this and compares them against each other. I think there is even a free one.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bartboy View Post
    Search the homepage for harmonic mixing and it will show you all the different softwares that do this and compares them against each other. I think there is even a free one.
    Link: http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/11/0...are-smackdown/

In a nutshell: There is a time and place for everything, there are times when a good track selection for the crowd is more important than mixing in key.
    Last edited by GPS; 12-22-2010 at 11:52 AM.
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

They also all suck.

Traktor can adjust songs by semitones (or, cents…though IDK why you'd want to do that) anyway…learn to use your ears and put MiK to shame.

I have mixed in key, and for doing small sets, its perfect, $60 well spent imo.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    I have mixed in key, and for doing small sets, its perfect, $60 well spent imo.
    Agreed. Very useful in finding songs that can be mashed. I use it to find bassy songs and loops that match well with rock tunes. Instantly making them dance worthy.

I have been a MIK user for about 3-4 years. At first I thought it was great but after a while I noticed that it is wrong more often than not. Its a great idea but its just not there yet. I hope it gets better.
    Technics 1210 MKII (x2) ~ Pioneer DDJ-RX ~ Allen & Heath Xone 2:02 ~ Traktor Pro 2 ~ Rekordbox DJ ~ Novation Dicer

I've set mixmeister the task of tagging my tracks, and it's slowly but surely churning its way through my library.7
    The downside seems to be that it's tagging with keys, and not camelot notation. Not a huge deal, just means need to search for keys and not numbers in sequence.

thanks for the help guys.