Good quality audio gear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Good quality audio gear

Hey all,

I'm looking to upgrade my P.A. system in the next 6 months. The problem i have is so many different opinions, so where better to ask then the DJTT community. So a quick overview of what i am looking for and what i am using it for.

I will be DJing and also using this gear for a band set up also. Currently i am looking to run 2 separate power amps 1 for the subs and 1 for the loudspeakers (At least if an amp fails i will have backup). And run everything from a powered mixer. In the way of crowds i'll be entertaining crowds up to around 300 people indoor and outdoor.

I've currently got a setup i have used which is 2 Alto Elvis 15inch subs running of a behringer desk mixer/amp. This setup has been great but i'll be trading in off it if possible. I recently aquired a 12inch Yamaha foldback which i will be purchasing another of the same soon. My budget sits at around $3000AU plus the trade in give or take a bit.

My current choices of systems are Yamaha and JBL. I was looking at behringer but as many would know they are renowned for problems with electrical faults.

Any advise would be great as this will be a long term investment so i wish to get it right the first time.

I've been using behringer for sometime with any problems. as for speakers, i yamaha & jbl are good. for subs i would look at cerwin vega
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Speakers = Mackie
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Speakers = Mackie
    +1

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    +1
    mackiee +2

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Speakers = Mackie
    +3

Tech Wizard

Looks like mackie for the speakers. Slight pricier than the others but $ means years as far as i'm concerned. Any suggestions on models for the mackies? I want something that is reasonably portable but still able to service a good crowd. Always good to get feedback from others using different setups of each as it makes choosing harder yet more sufficient.

If you are seriously keen there is allways the DIY approach where you could build you own setup that would totally blitz anything that you could possibly hope to buy.

Basicly the problem with PA systems is that they are made to play commercial music and hence have a frequency response to reflect that, if you are playing electronic music though you will find they have a lack of bass response.

Not only is it cheaper, the quality just doesnt even begin to compare.

Building your own is really cool, but you do have to have the time, money, tools and materials.

If you just want to go for buy and play, you can't go wrong with Mackie or Peavey.

So it's Mackie +4
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Wizard

The biggest problem i face is i am in a country area. Hence why i am looking at a mainstream product due to freight and availability. I'd love to build my own system but between getting the gear here and having enough time to do the actual building would be an extremely long term project.

I've had a pretty good look at this Mackie gear and a couple of local dj mates suggested it to me as a quality brand also. The extra cost is not a problem as no doubt i will make my money back on it in no time with the current market for decent dj's and live music in town here is completely open and through my regular gig i have got a good backing of followers so i'll be able to screw my price to what i need it at to cover myself.

I'm thinking at the moment the Mackie S215 Loudspeakers and the S218s Subs will be a pretty reasonable setup. Just a matter of comparing to a couple of other systems and working out amps and what not. I'd like to run a single brand system also as it just keeps things easier at times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast