More Control over Sample Slots!!! and a couple of questions.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question More Control over Sample Slots!!! and a couple of questions.

You might already know this, but........

I had hoped, when I saw the S4 software, that the volume and filter controls for sample slots would work individually. After I got the S4 and they were chained together I was a little disappointed, Now that I have had a little more time to mess around with the S4 I have found that they do work individually!

Luckily on my oxygen 49 I had the perfect number of 8 sliders for volume control of each slot, and I used 4 knobs, with a modifier to double the mapping, for all the sample slot filters. Because using the knobs I can never get the setting back to exactly half, I mapped 2 buttons to reset the filter knobs on each bank. Ready for some serious sample mixing now

Does anyone know if not being able to get the knob to the exact reading is because knobs are low resolution and it would require an encoder, or the knobs on the oxygen are low resolution?

Also I would like to be able to map something to change Deck D from Live to Sample to Deck. Would I have to make a layout for each? I saw a midi command for input, but haven't a clue what it does. Anyone? Karlos or Rainer?

While I'm on mapping, NI didn't put in a midi command to change the loop recorder input, and I couldn't find one for tapping the beat to set the grid in a deck. So I'll still have to use the mouse Anyone else think these would be good additions? I'll do a feature request if I'm not the only one, lol. I feel like if it's in the software you should have a midi command for it.
    Last edited by VanGogo; 12-27-2010 at 01:05 AM.

After getting a little further I found the answers to 2 of my questions.
    1. You have to select the deck's input prior to performance
    Not thrilled with this as I would like the option to change from deck to sample to mic while performing.
    2. The shift button is the beat tap button for the deck
    Really glad this is there!

Any help on the other questions?

Post edit: The manual does state that "You have to select the deck's input prior to performance" but there is a midi command that changes the Deck Flavor which does change it on the fly. Read post further down for the info.
    Last edited by VanGogo; 12-28-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Volume and filters do work individually for each sample slot if you select them first. If you're on the sample deck's layer, using shift + any hotcue (1 to 4) will select the desired sample(s) (1 to 4). Then any control will work for this/those selected sample(s). You see a sample is selected as the hotcue button will blink.

Does anyone know if not being able to get the knob to the exact reading is because knobs are low resolution and it would require an encoder, or the knobs on the oxygen are low resolution?
    Have you tried different settings, I suppose so but in case you could try twisting some.

For layouts, or deck's flavor: here's the strange thing, you can change layouts (there's an integrated command in the hardware and preferences to choose from) or even map a command to change the deck's type but the modifications won't 'really' apply to the software in a sense. Let's say you choose to have your sample play buttons to act as play buttons for the samples when the alternative deck is a sample deck and act as 'beatjump' if the alternative deck is a track deck. While you may change the alternative deck type 'live', the change of functions to your buttons will not apply. Silly? I think yes. As said in the manual, the decks' type must be done before performance.
    Another thing even if you can still change from a layout to another 'live', I've encountered several issues as the layouts components get mixed or even 'lost'. There's a bug somewhere.

The loop recorder input's type (ie, cue, master, etc...) must be done with the mouse eventually, there's no midi function designed for that, don't ask me why, I'm with you on that even if personally speaking I'm fine by using the cue type and stick with that so it isn't really critical (for me).

Thanks for the reply Yul!
    I did finally get to that part of the manual about sample slot individual control, but appreciate the info. I'll have to work with them that way for a while to see if I like it. Having the xtra controller for instant access to the individual slot's controls might be better, I'll just have to see.
    I'm positive the knob not giving an exact number in the software is the resolution. Endcoders give a step by step signal, pots slide up and down the range. I have tried messing with sensitivity etc. I also tried to solve this before with the key knob getting mapped to a knob and never found a setting that worked.
    Haven't played around switching layouts etc. Bummer to hear about the bug in the mapping.

Still wondering what the "input" midi command changes.

Also saw where using shift browse you put the S4 into midi mode on the fly to control something else via midi, but can you do this to control traktor as in super knobs and buttons?

Also saw where using shift browse you put the S4 into midi mode on the fly to control something else via midi, but can you do this to control traktor as in super knobs and buttons?
    that's what most people tend to forget in a sense: the hardware is "also"a plain midi controller and one of the best one. If you switch to midi mode you're no longer stuck by the restrictions of both the embedded mapping and the ones from the way you can map in 'user' mode (bearing in mind you cannot for example use a fader as a button - mapping wise, meaning also no 'fader fx mode' where a fader engages an effect to be 'on' or 'off').
    Cherry on top is the additional controller editor where you can change all midi messages to your liking.

So yes by switching to midi mode you could create funky super knobs and the likes. You're limited only by your ability to midi map, within the known usual limitations of Traktor Pro. Of course you'll loose some major features of the native bundle software/hardware (loop length screen, complex led feedback, etc, etc...).
    You'll have however to map fully the unit to some extend as when switching to midi mode you'll need to retain some main and critical controls over all sections (eqs, critical led feedback, etc...). Or not, you do as you see fit.

Coming back to be able to change the decks flavor or layout would have seemed natural and doable. It isn't apparently, I think it would have made sense and that's a big miss from NI. I hope that would be changed in a future update. I really would like to be able to change my type of decks depending on my performing needs and on the fly.

I need to do a feature request for deck changing at NI for us then. I hope it's something that can be done.

So you are saying it is possible to have a custom midi mapping for traktor and switch to it using shift browse, and then back to the native S4 NHL mapping? Sweet. The manual only talked about doing it to control other software.
    I am used to using the xtra keyboard controller for things like superknobs etc, but would be interested to see if I could do almost everything I want with just the S4.

Guess I have some mapping to do in the near future.

Post edit: After finding out a little more, you cannot do the user mapping without disabling the imbeded NHL mapping. You can however remap just a few things like the tempo faders and buttons, cross fader, but you have to disable them.
    Best option for me is to use an additional controller.
    Last edited by VanGogo; 12-28-2010 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yul View Post
    (bearing in mind you cannot for example use a fader as a button - mapping wise, meaning also no 'fader fx mode' where a fader engages an effect to be 'on' or 'off').
    Just to clarify for anyone else reading this.......

In fader Fx mode on the VCI-100, the mapping used Bomes to make a fader turn an effect on at the end of it's range. You cannot do this in just the traktor midi mapping. It requires a Bomes mapping.
    You can however map a fader or knob to turn on an effect like a button as soon as the knob or fader moves from 0 (or at thte starting position), and off again at 0.

The loop recorder input's type (ie, cue, master, etc...) must be done with the mouse eventually, there's no midi function designed for that, don't ask me why, I'm with you on that even if personally speaking I'm fine by using the cue type and stick with that so it isn't really critical (for me).

Coming back to be able to change the decks flavor or layout would have seemed natural and doable. It isn't apparently, I think it would have made sense and that's a big miss from NI. I hope that would be changed in a future update. I really would like to be able to change my type of decks depending on my performing needs and on the fly.
    Both put in feature request forum at NI
    Here:http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=126045
    & Here: http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=126044

Go give em a +1 so we can get these features!!

Ok found out from Rainer (traktorbible author) the input select midi command is probably just one that they forgot to remove from S4 software. It's an old command to switch between timecode input and non-timecode. Or maybe it will be used in the future when they make it usable with timecode.

He also said the Track to Sample to Live deck change should be doable in the layout. I'll take a look at that tonight and see what I can do.

Post edit: After finding out a little more, you cannot do the user mapping without disabling the imbeded NHL mapping.
    That is wrong. You can use the embedded mapping and user one(s) at the same time. How they do interact is another subject.

You cannot do this in just the traktor midi mapping. It requires a Bomes mapping.
    That's also wrong. You can use a fader as a modifier and create events to happen depending on the position of the fader (that would relate to the modifier's states). You don't especially need Bomes to do that. However most of the faders being low resolution if you move one quickly the modifiers states may not be read correctly.

Originally Posted by Yul View Post
    (bearing in mind you cannot for example use a fader as a button - mapping wise, meaning also no 'fader fx mode' where a fader engages an effect to be 'on' or 'off').
    I was relating here to the restrictions of a user mapping (not midi) within the S4 where you can't use a fader as a button. The editor doesn't accept it.
    Last edited by Yul; 12-28-2010 at 08:44 AM.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    Just to clarify for anyone else reading this.......

In fader Fx mode on the VCI-100, the mapping used Bomes to make a fader turn an effect on at the end of it's range. You cannot do this in just the traktor midi mapping.
    This is also wrong. The DJTT firmware is what gave the VCI-100 the ability to do Fader FX. You DO NOT need to be running Bomes to make it work.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast