VCI-good for DJ-skills?

Default VCI-good for DJ-skills?

Dear DJ-friends,

I'm looking for a DJ-setup very soon and I have done a lot of research on the internet and these forums.

I figured out my main question is this:

The setup i'm looking for at home should be just for training. I'm already playing in clubs but some extra beatmatching training is always good.

Now, I think that when I buy a vci, I will get lazy in just that (beatmatching). And that the computerscreen gives you info that you won't get in clubs (with for example a cdj-1000).

What is your experience with that? Will a vci help improve my basic DJ-skills or will i just be doing crazy things I can't do on cdj's in a club?

Thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by Jimnastics View Post
    What is your experience with that? Will a vci help improve my basic DJ-skills or will i just be doing crazy things I can't do on cdj's in a club?
    Theres no reason that you cant learn to beatmatch on it, you just have to be disciplined enough not to stare at the phase meters on the screen. And as for the tiny changes to the pitch that the pitchfader cant make you can allways use the jog wheels for extra fine pitch control.

Tech Wizard

it is possible to remove all the information you are talking about; the phase meter, the bpm read out, etc.

I don't see why you would invest so much money in the software and hardware and then not use it in the club.

digital DJing offers so much more than using CDJs, and the cdjs can in fact be used to control traktor! plus you would get better looping, effects, and file organization than cds can offer.

I guess what I'm saying is if you buy it, you'll like it!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Honestly, it just comes down to how you use it. Put the VCI in front of you but the compter off to the side so when you look forward you don't see it. Turn off BPM display and the phase meter so you don't find yourself guided toward it.

It should work fine.

But, it's a lot of money to just use for training. WHy not just get two little CD Decks and a little mixer for a few hundred bucks? If you aren't going to really dig into something as open ended as Traktor with a VCI, why invest in it?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall