Nightclub at my disposal. What to do?
    Tech Guru

Default Nightclub at my disposal. What to do?

I've got a super plush 360 capacity nightclub in Tenerife to do what I want with. Problem is there aint too much of a younger crowd here on holiday this time of year. It's all tight-ass old fogeys not really spending much dough. However, there are younger workers and younger Spanish crowds to target.

SO... what can I do to get this place packed out?

There are lots of workers but they normally finish work at like 3a.m onwards. We got a licence till 5a.m but can get away with rolling on for longer. They all go to the club my pal DJ's at across the road (same size as mine) which is absolutely dead till about 3 onwards. He said he is up for doing something in my club with me, but what?

I'm wanting to make money here, not put on the best night Tenerife has seen but not even break even. I'm trying to think outside the box... like maybe do a regular night which targets the older crowd, then from say 3 onwards it's a full on club night or workers party. Or maybe fuck off the younger crowd all together and do a dinner and dance for the older lot. The club puts on soul tribute acts from 10.30 till about 1a.m, then I DJ till the last person leaves and cos they are oldies they can't handle late nights and the place normally dies off at about 2a.m. That leaves 3 hours to play with. I'd be happy if I got all the workers in from 4-5 and absolutely smash out the last hour. I'm free to do something in the club all night, I don't have to do the soul thing first.

So baring in mind the following, what can I do to turn this place around and get it making serious money on the bar?

- There isn't a massive younger crowd of holiday makers this time of year.
    - Workers want cheap rates on booze (not really too much of an issue).
    - Workers finish from 3a.m onwards so what to do before then?
    - Oldies can't handle late nights.
    - The younger Spanish crowd are fuckin weirdos so putting on a straight up dubstep night, for example, won't fly with them. They're into weird shit.
    - There aren't any big name DJ's living on the Island so if I book someone they're gonna have to be flown over.
    - It's a holiday resort... if I plan something for like a month or even a couple of weeks in advance 99% of the tourists will have gone home.

I know I've got a challenge on my hands but any ideas will be considered. Where there's a will there's a way and I know there must be a way of packing the place out. Oh and I'm only thinking of doing a weekly, fortnightly or monthly thing that will turn over at least a couple of grand on the bar. Not an every night thing.

This is what the club looks like.

Attachment 4167

Answers on a postcard.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Sounds like you pretty much already know what to do. Phil's got a great set of articles with some good tips for your conundrum. If it were me I would look at the switching gears at 2 or 3 deal maybe. Is there anything for the younger crowd after 2 now? Since it's a holiday town you may need to look at building on to next season to really make it worth it.

http://www.djtechtools.com/?s=phil+morse
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

360 isnt that large a venue, shouldnt be too hard to find something to fill it.

how old are the fogeys, and do you really want them in there? if they are really old you could do like a decade an hour (9-10 60's music etc, 10-11 70's etc) until they bugger off home and the workers come in by which time you'd be at current music and able to bang the shit out of it
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Guru

Neo-Cumbia
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

Why not serve music all over the board and see which fits best?
    Old jeezers probably are more into 'classy' stuff like Jazz.

Sadly a Midi-Fight-Club seems to be out of reach there.

Tell us more about your current program and how its working!
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HedgeHog View Post
    Why not serve music all over the board and see which fits best?
    Old jeezers probably are more into 'classy' stuff like Jazz.

Sadly a Midi-Fight-Club seems to be out of reach there.

Tell us more about your current program and how its working!
    Current program;

10.30 - first solo singer goes on. generally 3 solo singers perform half hour set each.

12.30/12.45 - Main act goes on. Main act is a tribute to an old soul band i.e. Temptations, Four Tops, Supremes etc.

1.00/1.30 - Main act finishes, I DJ for the rest of the night till the last person leaves (2-2.30 am on average).

Club has a 5am licence so there is definitely scope to do something. Right now the bar is just ticking over. When I speak to the owners daughter she keeps saying that a club night wont work so this is just putting a dampener on things a bit. Obviously she knows the score as she has lived here all her life. But I reckon by booking a big DJ for the first night it will work. They've never booked a big DJ before, just the biggest on the island but he's some dude who plays all over the place anyway so nothing special that no one here hasnt seen before.
    Apparently DJ Hype is what all the Spanish would like around here (english DJ wise anyway). I personally love DJ Hype and would love to book him, but can see him costing thousands, need to enquire really but getting him would be fuckin awesome.

i just got a crash course of your barrio via wikipedia. I would have a locals party and stay away from the tourist. If the venue holds 360 people you can easily make it smaller so the place doesnt look empty by moving around tables. I would only try to book local talent and bring in the Guest DJ's when most people are off for a 3 day weekend.

What type of music are the young kids into?
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |