How to synchronise my laptop music, traktor and serato settings to an external HDD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to synchronise my laptop music, traktor and serato settings to an external HDD

I'm currently trying to set up an external hdd to have a slave mirror of the contents of my laptop hdd, without having to copy and overwrite the lot (i.e. it'll sync only the changes made in the intervening time)

Tried SyncToy and it doesn't work, and Memeo Autobackup seems to do a two way sync, rather than the external just becoming a mirror copy.

Any suggestions as to something else I could try?

Freeware preferable, as I'm a tightwad
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
    I'm currently trying to set up an external hdd to have a slave mirror of the contents of my laptop hdd, without having to copy and overwrite the lot (i.e. it'll sync only the changes made in the intervening time)

Tried SyncToy and it doesn't work, and Memeo Autobackup seems to do a two way sync, rather than the external just becoming a mirror copy.

Any suggestions as to something else I could try?

Freeware preferable, as I'm a tightwad
    Windows, I presume?

Genius Timeline is actually exactly what you're looking for (it's the Windows version of Time Machine). It's not free though, you could give the trial a go and see if you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by StephanV View Post
    Windows, I presume?

Genius Timeline is actually exactly what you're looking for (it's the Windows version of Time Machine). It's not free though, you could give the trial a go and see if you like it.
    Cheers, I'll take a squizz at it (once I've worked out how to fix the trainwreck that memeo has left my system in)

If it's a decent bit of kit and not ludicrously priced then I've no problem paying for it ...

Any other suggestions?
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Mentor

I've done my research on this a good half year ago, and found there aren't any good alternatives actually, unless you're okay with the 'dumb' software which just copies your entire hdd on a certain schedule. New stuff may have popped up in the meanwhile, but I doubt it.

You could also install hackintosh (= OSX on a PC), my dad says he absolutely loves the built-in Time Machine feature. I'd try the Genius trial first though, it's free and way less of an effort.

Tech Wizard

Tried SyncToy and it doesn't work
    It does, I assume the PEBKAC. It's tough to help without knowing what doesn't work as you expect it to be.
    Last edited by dumdidum; 12-27-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StephanV View Post
    I'd try the Genius trial first though, it's free and way less of an effort.
    If it didn't freeze after 2% backed up, I'd be more impressed

Tech Mentor

Weird, worked perfectly for me. Give it another shot

Quote Originally Posted by dumdidum View Post
    It does, I assume the PEBKAC. It's tough to help without knowing what doesn't work as you expect it to be.
    Does the analysis, then copies a few hundred files, then hangs ...

I'm reformatting the external drive (which should be fine as is it's almost brand new, and is empty) and I'll give it another crack ...

I'm reformatting the external drive (which should be fine as is it's almost brand new, and is empty) and I'll give it another crack ...
    Seems to be working

(so far)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast