Please help. :D - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help. :D

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by procc View Post
    I'm really into electronic, and Off of my pc probably...
    Gotta ask why are u wanting to get a turntable? do u have vinyl? have u thought about CDJS?

What are planning to use to play ur music off ur PC? this is a big one, u cant just use media player or VLC or winamp. U need somthing lie ABLETON , or traktor, or serrento.
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

Tech Wizard

No idea what CDJS is, and not sure

And the only other Program I have that plays music is my uncle's Virtual DJ pro I've been messing around with.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Djtom420 View Post
    He may not understand some of the terms used. we can help him out here, thats whats so great about this site. It looks like hes starting from square one, so might as well get him pointed in the right direction.
    Sure I'm all in for helping newcomers, that's why I posted some directions too. However, the best way to get to know what you're getting yourself into is by doing some serious effort on your own. Read whatever comes your way, it's the best way to expand your horizon.
    Of course, if something isn't clear and you can't really figure it out, don't bother to ask. But I don't feel like OP has reached that stage yet.

On topic: CDJ's are the most common CD players found in clubs. They're expensive though, as is a vinyl/timecode setup.
    I really recommend looking for MIDI setup. That means:
    - a laptop
    - one or more MIDI controllers
    - sound card, may be included in the MIDI controller already

VirtualDJ 7 looks like a nice piece of software, sounds like a very valid option if you've already got some experience with it.

Tech Wizard

@StephanV
    I have a laptop
    and for the controller and soundcard would the above Hercules and the USB soundcard work?

Essentially do you want to use Vinyl or CDJ (or controllers are basically high tech vinyl - without the vinyl and with fancy shmancy buttons !).

All (or almost all) the DJs on this website are digital DJs who use CDJs (basically different electronic controllers instead of old school vinyl - since we strongly believe that the future is in digital DJing).

So what you need to start DJing is this (If you chose to go digital):
    A controller - such as the VCI-100 - this is the actual "turn table" itself.
    A sound card - such as the Audio 2 - this allows you to listen to the music you are playing / mixing from your controller.
    Software - such as Ableton or Traktor - This is the program you'll be playing / mixing your music from.
    Your music library - which is self explanatory.

Things that would help (but not needed):
    A set of (monitor) speakers - such as the KRK RP6s - I would highly suggest picking up a pair of monitors to listen to your music through, it's much more satisfying then old computer speakers. I just updgraded mine
    A nice headset - such as the TMA-1's.

I'm most likely missing some stuff, feel free to add onto my post guys!

Welcome to the amazing world of DJing! Hope I helped even a little bit!
    Last edited by Coldfuzion; 12-28-2010 at 05:30 AM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by procc View Post
    @StephanV
    I have a laptop
    and for the controller and soundcard would the above Hercules and the USB soundcard work?
    Yes, that's a working setup. You haven't posted your budget though, there are higher quality controllers out there too, such as the VCI-100 or a Reloop Digital Jockey 2 Controller Edition. Look them up, ask yourself what you want in a controller. It all comes down to personal preference in the end.

Tech Wizard

My budget is about 450$.

Tech Mentor

That's a good budget.
    The VCI-100 or RDJ2 Controller Edition would be an appropriate choice, in combination with an Audio2DJ. Do you already have headphones?

Tech Wizard

No, All I've been using is my turtle beach headset for listening to stuff. :\

By the way, seriously looking into the Reloop Digital Jockey 2
    Last edited by procc; 12-28-2010 at 05:47 AM.

Tech Mentor

That turtle beach seems like enough of a headset to start dj'ing with. You'll want to upgrade eventually, but right now you've got more important stuff to buy.

I've got an RDJ myself and I absolutely love it. Build quality is good, but not as good as the VCI-100, but it's got more knobs and buttons, and newer technology (such as more precise faders).

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast