Super Faders
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Faders

Default Super Faders

Super Fader support was added... There's a lot of talk about it... But how do I do it? Maybe I'm ignorant and just missing a link, but I can't seem to find anything on how to actually do it.

I get the concept, but I don't get where adding in support comes in... Do I hook up the faders and just map them to some presets in the MF tsi?
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

This is basically how it's done. The new firmware is what enables the super fader so when you add the fader to you're Midi Fighter and update the firmware the fader will have the three notes instead of one.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/02/0...n-midi-crisis/
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

The Super Faders are designed to be assignable using "MIDI Learn". Essentially there are four messages that each fader produces:

Code:
    |0---------------64-------------127| CC 1
    |                 0------64-----127| CC 2
    |off|on----------------------------| note A
    |off----------------------------|on| note B
    Reading from left to right, the first CC increases from 0 to 127 in the normal way. Once you reach the halfway mark the Smart Fader will send out two messages at once:

[CC1, CC2]

and if you are using MIDI Learn on Ableton or Traktor the learn function will recognize CC2 as it's the most recently sent message. When you ht the top of the range the Smart Fader will send out:

[ CC1, CC2, NoteB]

in that order. MIDI Learn will remember NoteB as that's the most recently sent message. At the bottom of the range the Smart Fader sends

[CC1, NoteA]

so MIDI Learn will recognize NoteA.

So long as you are aware of where in the range you are producing messages while you're using MIDI Learn you can completely map an entire Smart Fader without having to resort to manually inputting MIDI values.

As for what to use these notes for, generally NoteA is useful for turning on and off Effects so the bottom of the CC range disables an effect entirely. NoteB is useful for turning on "hold" effects so that moving a CC to the top of the range initiates, say, a reverb hold. The main CC value should be your main effect like Reverb or Echo and the second CC would be something like Flange or Overdrive that will push the normal effect into interesting directions as you play with the range.

That's the theory, try it out with your own mappings.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    The Super Faders are designed to be assignable using "MIDI Learn". Essentially there are four messages that each fader produces:

Code:
    |0---------------64-------------127| CC 1
    |                 0------64-----127| CC 2
    |off|on----------------------------| note A
    |off----------------------------|on| note B
    Reading from left to right, the first CC increases from 0 to 127 in the normal way. Once you reach the halfway mark the Smart Fader will send out two messages at once:

[CC1, CC2]

and if you are using MIDI Learn on Ableton or Traktor the learn function will recognize CC2 as it's the most recently sent message. When you ht the top of the range the Smart Fader will send out:

[ CC1, CC2, NoteB]

in that order. MIDI Learn will remember NoteB as that's the most recently sent message. At the bottom of the range the Smart Fader sends

[CC1, NoteA]

so MIDI Learn will recognize NoteA.

So long as you are aware of where in the range you are producing messages while you're using MIDI Learn you can completely map an entire Smart Fader without having to resort to manually inputting MIDI values.

As for what to use these notes for, generally NoteA is useful for turning on and off Effects so the bottom of the CC range disables an effect entirely. NoteB is useful for turning on "hold" effects so that moving a CC to the top of the range initiates, say, a reverb hold. The main CC value should be your main effect like Reverb or Echo and the second CC would be something like Flange or Overdrive that will push the normal effect into interesting directions as you play with the range.

That's the theory, try it out with your own mappings.
    ^That's what I needed. Thanks ;D
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

So I read the diagram and explanation. I understand how it works, but do you need a special/specific kind of fader or pot knob? Or could you use anything off the shelf and it would work? I feel the tinkering bug coming back. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by djstevievano View Post
    So I read the diagram and explanation. I understand how it works, but do you need a special/specific kind of fader or pot knob? Or could you use anything off the shelf and it would work? I feel the tinkering bug coming back. Thanks in advance.

Any kind of linear potentiometer will work (i.e. not a rotary encoder and not a logarithmic potentiometer). We've used 10K and 100K pots both with good results. You're using it as a voltage divider so the resistance isn't too important, and you only need a single wiper.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Any benefit to either 10K or 100K?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Student

I was tryining to get one of the knobs on my lpd8 to work as a superfader, is that possible?

The knobs on a Midifighter are programmed to generate multiple MIDI events when you move them, where a normal device will only generate a single event. A way around thsi is to use MIDI mapping software like Bome's MIDI Translator (http://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator) that will sit between the device and your software and translate the single CC event from your hardware into multiple MIDI events for your software to use.
    Last edited by Fatlimey; 01-06-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Tech Wizard

so a knob or fader of any sort will work and the mid fighter board is where the "super" parts comes in? is it the board that makes it have four midi commands?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast