Trying to find...
    Tech Mentor

Default Trying to find...

I'm trying to come up with my first set guys. I was wondering how everyone goes about coming up with a solid list. For example, I am needing to produce a dubstep set that will last a few hours. But the whole purpose of the thread is to learn how everyone else picks their songs. It would be really cool if you guys could give me some music suggestions as well as some ways for me to pick my own.

Thanks alot.

I hope people get really involved with this.
    Live Gear : MacBook Pro 13" & 15" (depends which one I grab), Kontrol S4, Midi-Fighter, Shure SRH750DJ, Dedication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    itajen just told Chilly to read the fucking manual... lol
    *takes hat off and bows to itajen*
    Be the change you want to see in the world.

There was just a discussion on here about that particular topic. Have a read here

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21714

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Sanderbongertman View Post
    There was just a discussion on here about that particular topic. Have a read here

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21714
    Huh? This thread is about building a solid tracklist, not getting to know your songs?

I usually just fuck around at home, playing songs I think may fit. When two songs seem to be a hit, I try various transitions or mashups untill I find one that's satisfying.
    Tedious process, but I really enjoy it, just doing your thing, no limits.

Curious to other peoples' methods too.

Whoops, my bad. in that case: Try to decide what kind of set you will be playing. Intro sets tend to go from low to higher energy tunes. After-hour sets vice versa and peak-time anything in between. Take this into consideration mainly when planning the course of your set. Other than that, you might want to occasionally throw in a bit calmer tune to give your listener a few minutes of rest before going full throttle again.

Other things to keep in mind are how well tracks can be played together regarding tempo differences between them (also depends if you use key-lock or not), and then there is mixing in key which you can read into on the web.

Rule of exception to all this is naturally tunes that just sounds awesome together

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

This will help get you started.
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/12/2...rgettable-mix/

It all really boils down to listening to your music and knowing your music. Good organization goes a long way as well.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    This will help get you started.
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/12/2...rgettable-mix/

It all really boils down to listening to your music and knowing your music. Good organization goes a long way as well.
    Gonna agree with jojo... mainly to get nearer to 1000 posts
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.