"Playin the mixer"

Default "Playin the mixer"

Hi,

first off I am a college DJ (been doing it for like 3 years but nothing professional...I do frat parties..etc) but I take it very seriously and want to keep progressing. I've been invited to dj clubs (i live on the jersey shore...its not hard to get asked) but i feel my skill isn't up to par quiet yet because theres one thing holding me back.

I'm good with effects, having a good mix, reading the crowd and music but i don't quiet get when i got a tip from someone to "play with the mixer" or do eq sweeps or the such...what does that mean? and how can i use it effectivly? if anyone has examples that would be great

Tech Mentor

I'm just an amateur too, but what I do sometimes is slowly take out the bass (not everything obviously) and bring it back in at once when a climax or chorus kicks in. That keeps the vibe going really, and if you take the bass out slow enough people won't notice it.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

not only the bass, but you can play with the rest of the frequencies to make transitions super smooth or enhance certain parts of the song in specific moments. Having isolator Eqs really helps

^ Yeah what they said, when I just started DJing, killing certain EQs was my "trick" lol

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by seitz View Post
    Hi,

first off I am a college DJ (been doing it for like 3 years but nothing professional...I do frat parties..etc) but I take it very seriously and want to keep progressing. I've been invited to dj clubs (i live on the jersey shore...its not hard to get asked) but i feel my skill isn't up to par quiet yet because theres one thing holding me back.

I'm good with effects, having a good mix, reading the crowd and music but i don't quiet get when i got a tip from someone to "play with the mixer" or do eq sweeps or the such...what does that mean? and how can i use it effectivly? if anyone has examples that would be great
    Another method of transitioning that some people do is actually mixing in the other song via that EQs.

This would be the steps:

1. Start playing next track with volume fader all the way up, but with EQs all the way down.

2. Starting with the high, slowly raise them to normal, "flat" levels.

3. continue until you finally get to the bass.

After that, you can fade out the other song via level fader or EQs as well (but this time, start wth the bass EQ).

Hope that helped.

Gianmarco
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by Gianmarco View Post
    Another method of transitioning that some people do is actually mixing in the other song via that EQs.

This would be the steps:

1. Start playing next track with volume fader all the way up, but with EQs all the way down.

2. Starting with the high, slowly raise them to normal, "flat" levels.

3. continue until you finally get to the bass.

After that, you can fade out the other song via level fader or EQs as well (but this time, start wth the bass EQ).

Hope that helped.

Gianmarco
    When you mix with this method, which is by far the way you have most control when mixing EDM, be sure to take down the EQ's of the track playing when you bring up the other ones so you don't get huge gain changes.