How are MIDI controler presets recognised in Live?

Default How are MIDI controler presets recognised in Live?

Hey guys I'm new on the forum so you'll have to excuse me if this question has been answered before.

Basically, trying to get my head around this and i can't figure it out:

I have a UC-33, padKontrol and an Oxegen 8 v2.

I am trying to get them all working successfully with ableton but it doesnt seem to recognise presets on the device as anything different. I am wondering how I can make full use of the MIDI presets on the hardware device and also control as much as possible within Ableton.

I have already downloaded the default 'liveset' from m-audio for the uc-33 but it wasn't much good because it didn't seem to recognize presets either.

I am also using the enigma software btw. PS: I am wondering if you can drop the ableton mappings into different sets...?!?!

PLZ help! Everyone seems to say its so easy to set up, and whilst I can do the basic setting up and MIDI mapping in Live.... I feel as if i am using a fraction of its potential.... hope you can help!

Thanks for reading. Any help would be HIGHLY aprechiated....!! Thank you in advance.

Use the Midi Learn to setup you controller, if the default settings file didn't work from m-audio check to see under settings or preferences to see if your controller is on. with midi in/out.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Okay just having a look online but I can't seem to find any information about MIDI learn with Ableton Live... eh, any advice on that?

Quote Originally Posted by yozeroz View Post
    Hey guys I'm new on the forum so you'll have to excuse me if this question has been answered before.

Basically, trying to get my head around this and i can't figure it out:

I have a UC-33, padKontrol and an Oxegen 8 v2.

I am trying to get them all working successfully with ableton but it doesnt seem to recognise presets on the device as anything different. I am wondering how I can make full use of the MIDI presets on the hardware device and also control as much as possible within Ableton.

I have already downloaded the default 'liveset' from m-audio for the uc-33 but it wasn't much good because it didn't seem to recognize presets either.

I am also using the enigma software btw. PS: I am wondering if you can drop the ableton mappings into different sets...?!?!

PLZ help! Everyone seems to say its so easy to set up, and whilst I can do the basic setting up and MIDI mapping in Live.... I feel as if i am using a fraction of its potential.... hope you can help!

Thanks for reading. Any help would be HIGHLY aprechiated....!! Thank you in advance.
    With Ableton, you have to realize that a lot of 'controller presets' are based on specific layouts of Live.

If you don't have the specific layout, then the preset won't translate to anything. You would then need to manually map your controller to functions.

This is bigger than a breadbasket...you should read up on midi in Ableton in the Help file, or even use the built in tutorial.

In my opinion it's generally a smart idea following the Ableton Tutorials.

This piece of software is actually one of the few that actually has put great effort in their tutos.
    So they are definitely worth the time of looking into!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

thanks for that advice. actually after contacting support i realised that the presets on the respective midi controllers are not actually recognised. I've contacted support and went on the live forum as well.

I am just wondering at this stage how presets are transmitted and interpreted.

I guess on the most basic level I should have up to 127cc (x 16 channels)

so therefore 127cc(x16) to control the software.... is that right?

So then how do the presets come into it because they are the same number of cc messages available and only 16 channels..... is there something i am missing?

Tech Wizard

are you asking about the automaps that Ableton recognizes? so for instance if the Oxygen 8 automap is setup, it automatically controls whatever the blue hand is focused on? and if you have the padkontrol automapped it will always play the drumrack which is displayed, etc?