Who's seen Copyright Criminals and/or Steal This Film II? Discuss... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wax n Facts is an old record store in Atlanta I used to frequent in the 80s-90s...loved that it was shown in the film

Another thing that these films led me to think more about is radio. Why are radio stations (in the US) allowed to play anything they want w/o paying the artists or owners? They receive millions upon millions of dollars for commercials, seems they shouldn't been first to pay. Not hip hop producers using breaks to make and entirely new and different song.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by norequest View Post
    Another thing that these films led me to think more about is radio. Why are radio stations (in the US) allowed to play anything they want w/o paying the artists or owners? They receive millions upon millions of dollars for commercials, seems they shouldn't been first to pay. Not hip hop producers using breaks to make and entirely new and different song.
    dont they have a license that pays royalties to artists?
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

tthey have a licence to play what they want. so do bars and clubs, thats why djs dont have to pay royalties, as for weddings and such, there privet events, so you dont need to pay anything anyway
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Tech Guru

Thanks Ill def check it out I saw Steal this film both I and II but I hadn't heard of this film before. I just wrote a term paper on copyright law in america. Exactly what the constitution states about copyright law and where it's heading today. It's scary to think these giant corporations have seriously rewritten parts of our constitution in order to protect there bottom line, while at the same time chocking the life out of further creativity.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Tech Mentor

Last week I stole a virtual copy of something that was aired on PBS earlier this year. It's a documentary called Copyright Criminals and it goes in depth on art of sampling, it's effects on hip-hop, who's collecting royalties, and more.

LOL me and my wife just watched this yesterday, great little film, LOVE PBS docs, they are so good.

It's clearly obvious that the copyright laws need to be readdressed as they have not been touched for almost 40 years.
    Not true, they were changed in the mid or late 90s from 25+25 the 50 years rule to the artists life + 75 years, i belive it was under president bush part 1 that Disney was able to lobby(GOD I HATE LOBBYISTS) the gov to so that they could contiune to rack in money on there own stolen property(i.e. alice in wonderland, tarzan, beauty & the beast, cinderlla, etc etc they werent orignal ideas when disney stole them)

Check out the best movie on this issue, RIP: a remix manifesto. And girl Talk RULES!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gianmarco View Post
    dont they have a license that pays royalties to artists?
    they pay ASCAP somthing like 5 cents per play.

Quote Originally Posted by bartboy View Post
    It's scary to think these giant corporations have seriously rewritten parts of our constitution in order to protect there bottom line, while at the same time chocking the life out of further creativity.
    This is why those of us who are artists need to make a difference by not selling out to the big corps. This is why i do support torrents as a form of distribution. I made a documentary a few years back on Prop 215(Californians law on medical cannabis_ and i used you tube and torrents to distro my film. sure i didnt make a ton of money on the project but i felt the message was WAY WAY more important then any money i may have been able to suck out of people.

The scariest part about it all is who much these corporations own our enitre country. Financial crises anyone????

I think if u ask most any record exec they will tell u that digital downloading has ruined the bussiness. which isnt entrily true. its a mix of the crap they have released in the last ten years plus the fact NO ONE WANTS TO PAY 20 BUX for a CD and its ridiclues that they expect us to. I think the .99 cents a song is far via itunes or beatport whatever u want but the record execs want the cds that cost 20 bux back in play which is never gonna happen. This is why there are still a number of aruists that u cant DL from itunes. the beatles just finally got there stuff up on itunes.

The following is a quote from the forum posts on the pirates bay where steal this film is posted,(im so DLing it right now from TPB) I thought it was rather fitting:

Thank god copyright laws were invented!! The world must have been so boring with writers, painters, musicians and filmmakers sitting around unwilling to create anything cus noone had invented copyright laws yet!
    As soon as copyright laws were invented all those creative types started making interesting stuff - just so they could earn shit loads of money!!!

Is it just me or is this statemnet sort of true? how many of u DJs/producers would still make music if there was no chance of making any money? if the awnsers is ud never make music, well then stop now and go work for a wallstreet firm. I for one would still make music even if i never got paid, its just my way of expressing myself. sure the moneys cool and all but i have a day job.
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Djtom420 View Post

Not true, they were changed in the mid or late 90s from 25+25 the 50 years rule to the artists life + 75 years, i belive it was under president bush part 1 that Disney was able to lobby(GOD I HATE LOBBYISTS) the gov to so that they could contiune to rack in money on there own stolen property(i.e. alice in wonderland, tarzan, beauty & the beast, cinderlla, etc etc they werent orignal ideas when disney stole them)
    This would be the Sonny Bono Act (Who was an artist himself to some degree) also affectionately known as the "Mickey Mouse Forever Act". It lengthened the amount of time on all copyright to life of author + 70 years or 120 years for corporate authors. Now you may think that one day all these copyrights may finally enter the public domain and be free for everyone at least maybe in our children lifetime but all they need to do is renew the copyright. The supreme court has upheld many times that renew a copyright is constitutional because it sets a defined amount of time even thou they may be renewed again again. These laws were never meant to be enacted this way and everyone knows it but there just don't want to bite the hand that feeds.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

luv the docu
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

Tech Mentor

Not sure if someone mentioned this yet, but Good Copy, Bad copy is an even better doc then STM. goes alot deeper into the issue.
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12