Should people pay for music - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

10 000 for free.

This is the bigger and better PR opposed to 'just' 100 listening in on your set.

And we all know that, until certain extend, good PR spreading/coverage is the best tool to getting your name out there.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Wizard

If it's about a set than def 10K. On tracks it's different - musicians pay for hardware to say the last. Also it's a general economics concept - every 8 hours spent on making music, a musicians looses the money he would be getting if working in an office. On top of that he makes the world a better place by doing what he does. So for mixtapes, sets, festivals - should be free, but for club gigs and tracks they should definitely be payed.

buy the music you love, so that the guy making it can make you more music.

buy direct whenever you can, no point paying A&R execs, the dont make music.

Tech Guru

i've seen some djs have a donate option on their website they refer to whenever they release a mixtape... that's not a bad idea.

other than that though, the age of selling mixes is ancient history...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggers View Post

Whole heartily agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggers View Post

Great sentiment. Encouraging to see that 'DJTTers' share a similar sentiment. Some 'other' sites actually brag about pirating and label buyers of music 'idiots'.
    Walk the plank!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    Great sentiment. Encouraging to see that 'DJTTers' share a similar sentiment. Some 'other' sites actually brag about pirating and label buyers of music 'idiots'.
    Walk the plank!
    REally??? what websites are these?

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    the age of selling mixes is ancient history...
    I cant remember the last tuime i actually bought a mixed cd in the last IDK 6 or 7 years. I thin it was when tower records went out of bussiness and they were selling cds for like 5 bux brand new. picked up some bad company(the jungleists no the 70s group), Doc martin, Dj Heather and some others. but that was FOREVER AGO. iv been listening to DJ sets on the internet since the 90s. It was like the first thing i ever looked up on the internet: fatboy slim Dj mixes. God damn that takes me back.

If u guys wanna check out an AWSOME website, check out the themixingbowl.com, best source for DJ mixes. its not a pirating site its all DJ mixes that were either on the radio and recorded, i.e. BBC 1 or Kiss fm(euro), OLD 80s & 90s mixtapes (literally TAPES guys remember those?) or they are sound board recordings awsome quality stuff. Great site. I get all my John digwqeed Transitions shows from here.
    Last edited by Djtom420; 01-02-2011 at 03:29 PM.
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Djtom420 View Post
    I cant remember the last tuime i actually bought a mixed cd in the last IDK 6 or 7 years. I thin it was when tower records went out of bussiness and they were selling cds for like 5 bux brand new. picked up some bad company(the jungleists no the 70s group), Doc martin, Dj Heather and some others. but that was FOREVER AGO. iv been listening to DJ sets on the internet since the 90s. It was like the first thing i ever looked up on the internet: fatboy slim Dj mixes. God damn that takes me back.

haha yeah i think the last mix cd i bought was either "Freaky Flow & Mc Flipside - Keep it Live" or "Fatboy Slim - Live on Brighton Beach" ... those came out in 2002.
    it's been a loooong time, crazy how shit's changed since then.

It's almost a silly question. I couldn't imagine asking for money for a DJ mix. But I'd probably pay money to have 10k people listening to it. In fact, I do pay money in the sense that I buy the blank CDs and cases and printer ink and put them together myself.

A more difficult question might be, for those who produce or write music, would you rather have 100 people pay $2 a track or have 10k people listen to it for free. If it were me, no question I'd take the listeners over the money every time. In my mind it's not only the only right decision from an artistic/expressive standpoint, it's also the right decision from a pure business perspective -- it's promotion, part of the cost of running a successful business, and 10,000 potential customers is worth a lot more than $200.

I think it gets more difficult for some people when they factor control into the situation -- sure, they'd be fine giving away their music to 10,000 people on their own terms, but to find their stuff being traded on torrent sites is unacceptable. Personally, I still come down on the side of freedom every time, but I also don't stake my livelihood on selling records, so the view might be different for someone who does.

Tech Guru

The result is pritty much conslusive people over money. Most recording artists I spoke to agree. So who wants us to pay? Well its not the people making the music its the people that own the music? Hey doesnt the artist own the music? In most cases no. Any1 know the funky drummer loop? well the bloke that made it was happy that people like public enermy used it in a new way. However all the record company wanted to do was sue for every penny they could get. They did this time and time again destroying alot of creativity in hip hop and other sample based music. The man who wrote the funky drummer drums never saw a penny. Where is the justice in that. THE MUSIC INDUSTRY ARE DISGUSTING. I try to only buy from independant labels and direct from artist. Also if albums are free with donate buttons if I use them I will allways donate. The record industry didnt want records? these people arnt very bright however they are the ones making shit loads of money not the ppl that deserve the money

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12