ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM

OR

B: Mac Pro
    One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Nehalem”
    3GB (3x1GB) Ram
    1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
    One 18x SuperDrive

Reason I am wondering about the Mac Pro is because it seems that it's easier to upgrade it as the time goes on. My budget is $2300, so if I bought the Pro I would have to use either any old monitor I can find, or my TV monitor - which would suck cause I love watching TV while i'm on my computer.

I really like the iMacs 27" display, only thing holding me back is the iMac is not upgradeable really.

Do you think the Pro is worth it?
    Last edited by Coldfuzion; 01-02-2011 at 04:10 PM.

You can upgrade an iMac. It just takes a bit more work: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac

That might help you make your decision. I think that iMac is a better iMac than the Pro is a Pro.

For me, the deciding factor would just be whether the iMac could hold enough ram for everything I wanted to do and whether or not I wanted to buy PT HD cards.

Tech Mentor

I have a 2 year old 24in imac, i run a ton of stuff on it. My profession is design, so I run cs5, ableton live, traktor pro, and komplete 7 instruments. works flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    You can upgrade an iMac. It just takes a bit more work: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac

That might help you make your decision. I think that iMac is a better iMac than the Pro is a Pro.

For me, the deciding factor would just be whether the iMac could hold enough ram for everything I wanted to do and whether or not I wanted to buy PT HD cards.
    That's crazy! Thank you for the link! I am just using it for my S4, and Maschine at the same time. Aside from that I may use it to game on it a bit, but not while running my DJ programs, so I don't think I will need too much ram. I'll probably be going with either 4gb or 8gb.

Quote Originally Posted by armyofme4340 View Post
    I have a 2 year old 24in imac, i run a ton of stuff on it. My profession is design, so I run cs5, ableton live, traktor pro, and komplete 7 instruments. works flawlessly.
    That's really good to know! Do you run any of it simultaneously and does it glitch even slightly?

Thank you guys for your responses! It's much appreciated!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    That's crazy! Thank you for the link! I am just using it for my S4, and Maschine at the same time. Aside from that I may use it to game on it a bit, but not while running my DJ programs, so I don't think I will need too much ram. I'll probably be going with either 4gb or 8gb.

That's really good to know! Do you run any of it simultaneously and does it glitch even slightly?

Thank you guys for your responses! It's much appreciated!
    I do. I usually run kontakt, ableton, and some other vsts. I usually forget to turn off illustrator and indesign as well as a font management system.

no glitches.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    Hey Guys,

So I was looking into picking up either:

A: 27" iMac
    2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB Ram
    1TB Serial ATA Drive
    8x double-layer SuperDrive
    ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM

OR

B: Mac Pro
    One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Nehalem”
    3GB (3x1GB) Ram
    1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
    One 18x SuperDrive

Reason I am wondering about the Mac Pro is because it seems that it's easier to upgrade it as the time goes on. My budget is $2300, so if I bought the Pro I would have to use either any old monitor I can find, or my TV monitor - which would suck cause I love watching TV while i'm on my computer.

I really like the iMacs 27" display, only thing holding me back is the iMac is not upgradeable really.

Do you think the Pro is worth it?
    Hey man, I work in IT im a network engineer. I have a done a couple of upgrades on macpro and i will just say they are simple to upgrade everything is just plug n play. u can have up i belive 4 (dual)ati video cards i have one guy who actually had 6 screens 4 lcd 2 42inch sharp aquis(however u spell it) and he owned 3 macpros. they max out at like 32 gbs of ram so u can just keep duming memory its got like 12 slots maybe more its been a year or so.

If u got the cash go with the MAc pro dood, u will not regret it.

The imac everything is built in they can overheat (if ur a power user), can upgrade very easliy, etc etc u know the rest of the reasons. Iv done MBP upgrades and its like an hour to take a part, and then another hour to put back to gether just to upgrade Ram or HD.
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

Quote Originally Posted by Djtom420 View Post
    Iv done MBP upgrades and its like an hour to take a part, and then another hour to put back to gether just to upgrade Ram or HD.
    Either the newest ones are a LOT harder to upgrade things in or you're not very good at it.

A hard drive swap in the last one I did took like 30 minutes, including figuring out that the chassis that came with the new one wouldn't run it for some reason…so I had to swap them before I migrated the drive.

Also, I use an old Macbook, and I run Traktor Pro and Live together without problems…I usually remember to quit other programs, but I don't turn off wifi or bluetooth because I'm lazy. No problems unless I'm dumb enough to put the computer near the exhaust fan for an amp. Any modern mac will run DJ stuff just fine…I think I've seen people running SSL on an 11" Air.

Yeah the iMac will be more than enough power. And the specs you have laid out with 8G RAM on the iMac vs. only 3 on the Mac Pro, it's pretty clear the imac is the way to go. And don't use your TV as a monitor, you will go nuts. The Mac Pro is a great machine if you're going to be doing heavy graphics and/or video work, but then you're gonna want more than 3G RAM. The thing about upgrading is you can add most of what you need externally. No way you will need more than 8G RAM for anything you mentioned; adding hard drives or sound cards or controllers is just a matter of plugging in more USB cords.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Either the newest ones are a LOT harder to upgrade things in or you're not very good at it.

A hard drive swap in the last one I did took like 30 minutes, including figuring out that the chassis that came with the new one wouldn't run it for some reason…so I had to swap them before I migrated the drive.

Also, I use an old Macbook, and I run Traktor Pro and Live together without problems…I usually remember to quit other programs, but I don't turn off wifi or bluetooth because I'm lazy. No problems unless I'm dumb enough to put the computer near the exhaust fan for an amp. Any modern mac will run DJ stuff just fine…I think I've seen people running SSL on an 11" Air.
    Actually iv only done two mpbs one for a customr and one for my wife and oth times i just follwed a vid on utube. So to be fair it took an hour both ways taking a part and put abck together. I man iv been doing pcs for 10 years now macs are still kinda new for me. I only started playing with them like 4 yrs ago I was one of those PC guys. My wife and the fact that alot of customers were getting new macs ( i always have them get that 3 year apple care so i dont gotta mess with it) i stared tinkering. I almost nmade the switch to but then win 7 happened and well IDK i think things are pretty even now. Win is rock solid so i never felt the need to make the change.
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The iMac will be plenty. Spend the money you save on something else.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast