Finding your scene...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Finding your scene...

Growing up I had tons of friends who knew what was hot! I have a few buddies still in the music biz in Los Angeles but their taste is so disparate it is hard to really find new music, and get into a scene. Even worse is that I live thousands of miles away! In COLD Chicago! (ok, i effing love ChiCity!) I work with a lot of older non-musical people and I have some great friends here but none really into house/electro/ANYTHING other than top-40 or 90's rock. (I am still a metalhead, always will be!) So I find myself in a bit of a rut musically because sometimes it is hard to hear new stuff....

How do you guys find your music?

AND

Where to find good stuff in Chicago!!
    Late 2009 MBP 2.26 8Gb RAM, Bliptronome,
    Akai MPD-24, TRAKTOR S4, Ableton Live 8
    --------------Party in Chicago!-----------------------

A guy from this forum who is widely respected and has been a great mentor to me said to me something along the lines of...

"Spin what you want to spin, forget whats cool. Or what the club owners want. Play the music you want and if you try hard enough you will become a success"

he said that to me probably 2 months ago. And now this wed i have an interview for a residency. LB is my boy.

But otherwise i like beatports front page.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

Tech Wizard

I like that. Maybe I should have said "music discovery" I'd hate to be constantly chasing an elusive genre that "sells" all the time.
    Late 2009 MBP 2.26 8Gb RAM, Bliptronome,
    Akai MPD-24, TRAKTOR S4, Ableton Live 8
    --------------Party in Chicago!-----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by ColemanT View Post
    I like that. Maybe I should have said "music discovery" I'd hate to be constantly chasing an elusive genre that "sells" all the time.
    Right on dude. I mean if ya want do it like this. Play top 100 then throw in some of your favorite songs along the way.

Like i listen to almost everything except country. But thats besides the point. If ya ever need any help on EDM i can export my library as a list to show ya what i have.

Also always have one favorite you keep tucked away and dont play that much unless its an emergency.
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

Dude, you are in Chicago.
    PC | TSP2 | A8 | S4 | X1 | T1200MK2

Beat Gridding Tutorial

Soundcloud, Beatport, Various blogs, Soulseek, Mix Tracklists etc

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    Soundcloud, Beatport, Various blogs, Soulseek, Mix Tracklists etc
    Hes not asking where to get stuff hes asking WHAT STUFF TO GET.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ColemanT View Post
    Growing up I had tons of friends who knew what was hot! I have a few buddies still in the music biz in Los Angeles but their taste is so disparate it is hard to really find new music, and get into a scene. Even worse is that I live thousands of miles away! In COLD Chicago! (ok, i effing love ChiCity!) I work with a lot of older non-musical people and I have some great friends here but none really into house/electro/ANYTHING other than top-40 or 90's rock. (I am still a metalhead, always will be!) So I find myself in a bit of a rut musically because sometimes it is hard to hear new stuff....

How do you guys find your music?

AND

Where to find good stuff in Chicago!!
    What up Colemen?

Welcome to DJTT this is an awsome site to meet like minded folks. I have the same issue as you, I dont have many friends that listen to EDM anymore, I guse they grew out of it and only listen to country and top 40 and crap rock from the 90s and 00s, God shot me if i become one of these musical retards.

The best suggestion i ca give u and this has worked well for me is to go onto sites like itunes, sites that list links to podcasts and find edm podcasts, Deeper shades of house is my fav lars berneroth rocks the house and he includeds track listings which u can use to find new tracks. also, theres another site I just am in love with at the moment called, themixingbowl.com and it is a torrent site for Dj mixes mostly stuff thats from radio 1 or bbc and kiss fm. also tons of bootleg djs sets (i.e. soundboard recordings) here u can find tons of great stuff and the community is all about putting up track listings. Its not a trandional torrent site like the pirates bay so u wont find pirated music or anything like that. Other then that I dont know, I feel ur pain though LOL, sux to get old LOL im only 30 but u know. hope this helps.

P.S. Also documentarys are a great place to learn about new music scenes stuff u wouldnt normally hear about. I found this one great doc called Notes on Breakcore which turned me onto breakcore. I also found a doc on you tube about dubstep. U could you tube stuff alll day long and find new and intresting stuff on line that will point u in the right direction.

Again I hope this helps.
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

Quote Originally Posted by rhombus_77 View Post
    Dude, you are in Chicago.
    your point? i hardly know anyone who listens to electro, house, DnB or dubstep as their primary choice in music.

chicago sucks like that.

if theres a scene for that stuff, its small
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by theory28 View Post
    your point? i hardly know anyone who listens to electro, house, DnB or dubstep as their primary choice in music.

chicago sucks like that.

if theres a scene for that stuff, its small
    Really, I figured in one of the primary cities responsible for the dance music we know today, clubs and small venues would be easy to find.
    PC | TSP2 | A8 | S4 | X1 | T1200MK2

Beat Gridding Tutorial

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast