Mono Vs Stereo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mono Vs Stereo

Tech Guru

Default Mono Vs Stereo

I have an Audio2DJ soundcard but want to mix 4 channels.

I already figured out how to route traktor into 4 separate channels on my mixer, but my question is:

is there a noticeable difference in sound quality if i were to route my Audio2 into 4 mono channels on my mixer VS something like an audio8 into the same system?

meaning not just for clubs, but for my sound system when i play at parties as well.... anyone have some insight on this?

mono just routes audio into one signal without differences in volume to simulate movement, right? so i'm assuming there would be no difference...
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Well mono does sound different, flatter basically.

A stereo mix will most likely have some fx / instruments panning across the two tracks.

You will loose some depth but it may not be the end of the world.

I would just run a test... my pioneer mixer has a stereo / mono switch so I can tell with just a flick the effect it has.

Stereo is subtle perhaps but for my ears a lot better. Most punters may not notice or care
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Mentor

Maybe people would not notice when you're playing in the discothèque (many, if not most clubs' sound systems are mono anyway). But, when playing/listening in a sober state at home, the difference is HUGE.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by itskindahot View Post
    Maybe people would not notice when you're playing in the discothèque (many, if not most clubs' sound systems are mono anyway). But, when playing/listening in a sober state at home, the difference is HUGE.
    This, although huge is a pretty strong word imo. I think definitely noticeable might describe it better. Again, this is just my opinion.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

It depends on how tracks you generally spin are produced. Anything which uses a good amount panning needs stereo. Using two or more tracks (nowadays I go for four) with different panning schemes creates a psychedelic feel on the floor.

Tech Guru

I always ask this...

This psychedelic feel can be noticed by the entire floor?
    I mean, Some people will only listen the Left audio, some will the Right audio, that's why most of the places run Mono instead of Stereo on the PA, right?
    I think paning FXs don't do nothing to big dance floors, it's even worse, because some people that is on the far left will aways listen the left part of the music and never the right part of it, it will kill the music for me.

I think we can focus on the Tech / Volume / Quality of the audio.To play a music with only One RCA instead of Two RCA:
    Will lower the volume output?
    The quality of the audio (forget about paning FX and "Stereo Feel") on big clubs and open air events will be worse?

Tech Guru

At the local clubs I play, the signal is converted to mono before heading to the amps & speakers. So, it doesn't matter what I do. I tend to keep stereo in my outputs and go from there.

When I have my PA system I can control that setup, and I keep stereo through the full signal chain.

The trick is to keep people "between" "left" and "right" pairs of speakers. So, in larger rooms, I setup a distributed sound system and run the tops as "L R L R L R". Spacing tops every 20-30ft works well to preserve the stereo image.

Keep in mind that a LOT of modern music has very little difference in the left and right tracks. But I play a lot of oldies, 60's, and disco...and those tracks are (almost) ridiculous with the stereo effect.

Tech Guru

thanks for the quick responses, as always!

i just cant afford an audio8 still but i wanna practice my 4 deck mixing externally.
    (i like having the audio meters read out on the mixer too haha)

Tech Guru

i tried it today, and it does sound flatter. but i have yet to try it on my small system.
    i most likely will just use 2 decks anyway for mixing at parties so...

Tech Guru

only sounds flatter ? the volume output is the same?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast