Very new to DJing? Look here.

Default Very new to DJing? Look here.

Ok, so ive seen a few threads lately "please help" and its usualy someone who has not done any research on DJing at all, wants to be a DJ. So what have they done? come to a digital DJ website and ask questions. So this thread is being made to hopefully steer some of the new people here. hopefully a stickie? ok.

Firstly, here is a great blog by Digital DJ tips, i suggest if you are new, watch this blog for a while, ill come to blogs later. http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2010/12...enagers-guide/

then visit

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2010/11...t-do-i-do-now/

[intermission]

Ok, so youve bought your first controller, headphones and speakers? now how do you connect it up? heres a very helpfull post i found from another user,

Quote Originally Posted by Nales

Ok, so youve played around with your controller for a while, but its the same 5 tunes over, and over, and over. You need more music! Now, youve just spent $400 on gear, pirate music is going to look very tempting? DONT DO IT! You never know what you get with pirate music. and knowing karma, something will always go wrong during your first gig, or your make/break gig. so please please always look for the legal route.

For legal-ish (i'm not sure on the royalties of blogs) free music, i suggest looking through blogs and soundcloud. Some blogs i use are,

Beezo Blog
    Gotta Dance Dirty
    and of course, Soundcloud

Now soundcloud is a very good tool for showing us/your friends/promoters/club owners your mixes, generally once you own the full version of your mixing software of choice youll unlock a record feature, then create an SC and upload your mixes.

Other places to get your music cheaply are joining a DJ music pool, you pay a monthly fee to a website and they give you a monthly ammount of downloads, sometimes unlimited.

My MP3 Pool
    Mass Pool MP3

Then ofcourse you have your $$$ websites, these are where each indivudual track costs you about $2!, but its always the club bangers, the top dog music, THE BEST!

Beatport
    Juno

And of course theres all those Trance, Club, EDM and Dance albums youve bought over the years, because you have to be interested in music first to be a DJ, correct?

Obviously there are more blogs, more pools and more $$$ websites, I'm only giving you the basics, DJing requires work, so get used to it!

now, dont take this video 100% seriously, but there is a lot of good facts about DJing in here,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxYsM...eature=related

DJing takes a lot of time and effort, Ive been at it 6 months now, Ive had one house party FreeJay gig and thats me. But i use my own name, give out my own mixtapes, ok, im nowhere near club standard yet, Ive never tried to beatmatch manually (ive had to fix my gridding in traktor on the fly before, but its not the same) but im honest, and i practice, and i will get better!
    Last edited by Cook; 01-07-2011 at 10:02 AM.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Unfinished btws. so reserve.
    Last edited by Cook; 01-07-2011 at 09:43 AM.

but cant i just have my mommy buy me serato and ill get all the bitches? im ron burgandy?

hahahaha.

READ THIS JAZZ/ Have fun with your equipment. try stupid shit. and always use the record button for when you have "a random flash of convoluted brilliance."

just for fun.... cause this was my process in learning how to dj

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0buBXPldNQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Well how else are you to get serato @ 14 y/o? download it, cos serato is freee! muahahah@

I cannot edit my posts in this o.O mod help ?