PC Laptop or Macbook..?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default PC Laptop or Macbook..?

As a complete newbie, who has just bought a VCI-100 (and Numark DJ I/O), which would be recommended?

I had a quick chat with a Dj the other night whilst out, who was using a macbook (not sure which software he was running), and he said that software tends to run better and more reliably on a Mac than on a PC laptop running windows... Is this generally true or perhaps one of those myths that were more relevant with older laptops with limited computing power? And are Mac's generally more suited to 'musical applications' than their equivalent PC? I see alot of professional Dj's tend to use Macbooks over PC laptops (FWIW)..

Reason I ask is that I'm going to buy one or that other in the near future. I'd like a PC laptop, as I will use it for other things, and never had a Mac or even used one for sustained periods. There's also the issue of cost, Macbook's being that bit more expensive for an equivalent machine.

It might be six / half a dozen with regards to running Tracktor (although I'd like to run 'Pro' eventually), but of course stability and relabilty are major considerations if the laptop is the only music source available...

Thanks for reading!
    Ross

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I'm having the same inner discussion now too, though mine is more in regards to Vista than anything else. Most people who use macs say that they are more reliable and stable, but I just don't buy it, to a large extent. If you treat a PC well it will work well. If you get quality parts and keep it clean it will work like a tank.

I don't know if the extra couple hundred to $1000 justify the Mac. *shrug*

But I'm in the same boat, regardless.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I am still thinking of adding an Alienware laptop to my list of possible contenders.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

I just looked it up, Tekki, and for almost the same price as a Dell I get a whole helluva lot more
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

IDD.

Alienware used to be a free manufacturer, nowadays it seems to be a sub/ daughtercomapny of Dell.

But who gives a hey, I have always liked the design of the machines.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

The mac vs pc debate can be found here - http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...t=apple&page=3

Alienware are gaming machines, no need to blow $ on one of them unless you plan to game on the same system you make music on.

who owns them doesn't bother me. I find it entertaining that a better machine costs almost the same.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Dont the Alienware pc's have better graphics cards ?
    I know they used to... that is, before dell ate them up.

Tech Guru

Before I answer let me start by saying that I am Microsoft Certified.

If you are fairly tech savvy get a PC with windows XP on it, you can get a great deal out there.
    If you are not great with the technical stuff or want a break from constantly tweaking your PC get a Mac.

I own a mac and also run windows xp on VMware Fusion. It's like having two computers in one.

You have two choices of video cards, one with their own CrossfireX stuff, I don't know waht that is. It isn't necessary to the life of the system, but when the laptop costs the same as a souped up Dell with slightly better stuff... I dunno... seems like an interesting deal
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast