Maschine vs Ableton Live
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Maschine vs Ableton Live

I would like to know the benifits of one over the other. I am looking to either upgrade my apc version of live my friend gave me and buy a decient midi keyboard or go the maschine route. thanks.

Maschine is more of a groovebox right now with 1.5, and Live 8 is a all in one DAW. Its hard to compare the two.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

GET BOTH!
    What i did and never looked back.

but in all seriousness, maschine is for creating beats and ableton is for putting them together, nothing alike.

Although there are rumors that maschine could become a DAW in future updates.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    Maschine is more of a groovebox right now with 1.5, and Live 8 is a all in one DAW. Its hard to compare the two.
    what he said, 2 different products. It's like comparing an APC and a VCI

Banned

I agree that these are two very different products. They are both fantastic and I do not think that it would be a mistake to have both. Hopefully your checkbook can handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    GET BOTH!
    What i did and never looked back.

but in all seriousness, maschine is for creating beats and ableton is for putting them together, nothing alike.

Although there are rumors that maschine could become a DAW in future updates.
    You wouldn't suggest one over the other? I've been pretty keen on getting some dollars together for maschine, considering if I got ableton I'd also have to cop a controller on top..
    Maschine is just good for beats and not so much bass lines or leads etc?

Tech Wizard

If I can get a decent keyboard for a good price I saw maschine on ebay for $430. I can hold off on upgrading live.

I have and use both.
    Maschine can act as a nice controller to ableton as well.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Quote Originally Posted by zacl87 View Post
    You wouldn't suggest one over the other? I've been pretty keen on getting some dollars together for maschine, considering if I got ableton I'd also have to cop a controller on top..
    Maschine is just good for beats and not so much bass lines or leads etc?
    Yes its good for bass lines, leads, everything! if you want to create a 4 bar, or 8 bar loop. its not for putting songs together.
    What i do is create something in maschine and then export it as a wav into ableton, and from there build up your song.

firstly, i would suggest getting maschine, because you already have the demo for ableton right? so it lets you create basic songs, off the top of my head i think you get a 6x10 block in the demo (obviously in the full its unlimited) but 60 bars to play loops is a lot.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

I honestly think (having got Ableton) that getting the Maschine would have been the better first thing to get. At least personally, looking back on it.

I really really like Ableton as a DAW. I got it originally because I was inspired by a lot of the DJing applications of it, and then also realized it's potential as a DAW. Personally, I think Ableton is great as a "live performance" tool, if you are mostly working with your own productions. Mixing "normally" it can be done easier in other methods.

As a DAW though, I'm wildly impressed by it. But I always come back to wishing I had a decent pad controller for playing with drums and the like, and that's where Maschine would come in.

It's a stand-alone in and of itself, but I believe can also be used as a VST inside a DAW, and you can copy/paste or export pretty easily. The workflow aspect of the maschine is really what sets it apart from other controllers.

Right now I'm sitting tight until my W4's and tax return comes in. I'm debating about getting a DJing setup (S4 or CDJ's) or just going with a modified Maschine setup, it's that intriguing to me.

But honestly, if you are planning on getting both in the future, I really feel that you will find more straight up enjoyment out of getting the Maschine FIRST and making a lot of loops/sounds, and then getting the DAW later and putting them together.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast