Its soo hard to scratch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Its soo hard to scratch

Does anyone have any advice to help me learn how to scratch faster....its really hard for me because i literally just started

look up some tutorials, practice till your hands hurt, then practice some more,
    lots of muscle memory involved, get some old vinyl, spoken word story discs etc. they'll help you alot with figuring out how the sound is modulated through movements, try different things, i prefered a flipped fader, like a b is ba on the fader, hamster switches are good for this, lol, it's going to take you years,
    have fun though, and play around alot, try different things, people do things in so many different ways, lol look up some video's with my boy capital j, he still kills it daily

Quote Originally Posted by dj bshock View Post
    ....its really hard for me because i literally just started
    Generally learning to do cool stuff really well involves a lot of practice and not much else.

Practice. It won't happen any other way and it won't happen quickly either way.

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dj bshock View Post
    Does anyone have any advice to help me learn how to scratch faster....its really hard for me because i literally just started
    Don't fear! Look up our buddy Shiftee's "Salsa School of Scratch" !

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...tee+salsa&aq=f

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiPG-3iSClk
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Tech Guru

http://blog.dubspot.com/dj-school-10...tice-practice/

Check this article on practicing from DJ Shiftee, world champ. I've been DJing for 2 years and scratching for probably 6 months. It truly is muscle memory. Stop reading and trying to find shortcuts, just straight up start making noise on the record. Start simple. Baby steps, baby scratches. It sounds weird but move your mouth when you scratch, verbalize the sound you want to make, it helps a lot. Also start listening to groups like X-ecutioners, Return of the DJ albums. The more you hear the sounds the more of a scratch vocabulary you'll get.

My scratch-vocabulary is slim. All I can say is freshhhhhhhhhh and hhhhhhhhhhserf

Tech Guru

also check out DJ Angelo's tutorials on youtube, does a great job of really breaking things down into baby steps.

Yeah I visit a DJ school weekly.
    When we learnt forward and backward-scratch we were tought to break it down in 4 stops.

Forward-scratch
    * start with closed fader *

Step 1: open fader
    Step 2: push record forwards
    Step 3: close fader
    Step 4: push record backwards
    -> Go to Step 1

Backwards-scratch
    * start with closed fader *

Step 1: keep fader closed/close it
    Step 2: push record forwards
    Step 3: open fader
    Step 4: push record backwards
    -> Go to Step 1

Practice that slowly at first until you really got it down without them sounding like baby scratches.
    Afterwards you can start mixing forwards and backwards-scratch.

That should occupie you a few days/weeks before moving on to more difficult scratches.

Tech Mentor

Dj >q bert skratch acadamey!
    Butcher
    DJ/Producer/Audio Engineer

You've already had the best tips - DJ Angelo, and Shiftee have some amazing videos on you tube.

Q-Berts DIY Volume 1 is great. Buy the DVD - you'll be glad you did.

For slow scratches, you make a smooth motion with your arm and wrist - but for faster scratches, that movement becomes more of a vibration/stuttery type arm/hand movement.

Don't forget - you can get twice as many sounds (making it sound twice as fast) by starting with an open fader, and doing a click in the middle to "cut" the sound into two.

You WON'T learn to scratch in a short amount of time. It takes a LOT of training, and it's gonna make your brain hurt. There's a whole language to it!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast