had my first go on
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default had my first go on

had my first go on some decks today, it was fun. met this guy at a house party who was spinning found out he lived right around the corner from my house. So went over there, started messing with them beatmatching is actually harder than it looks.

I guess I have a understanding of what all these cats are getting mad over, i mean it is about the music, but i guess i can understand they feel they are getting cut out, because they took the time learning how to beat match and buy decks and a mixer.
    www.myspace.com/djxsquizet
    my arsenal:
    2x vestax pdx, numark dxm09, m-audio x session pro, and ableton live 6.

I spin hip hop/electro/top 40

my 10minmix video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAgSmaG4zM

beat matching is best learned on 1200's then you work your way up, sure people dont have all that money to blow, but atleast you were able to find someone close to you that has some tables for you to practice on.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

yea it felt so weird handling the vinyl, makes me want my needles even more, will have them after this christmas.
    my arsenal:

my 10minmix video

Tech Guru

beat matching is fk'n hard. So I can entirely understand why some DJs get pissed off. But in saying that if you think about it, beat matching hinders musical expression far more then it adds, thus digital ftw. I mean I love a good DJ like a love a good guitarist, its an awesome technical skill I wish I had but it is limited in the same way.

I fucking love mixing/beatmatching tho. Its well fun. Fully keen to get into it, and get better at it... but I have so much other stuff to do its hard to get time to get good enough :[

You betcha damn straight X!

It's the bomb. I still think, if budget allows, every starting DJ should at least have a 1 or 2 month period learning to beatmatch on Turntables.

It's also one of the reasons why I want to keep beatmatching on my controllers.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

I always play a beat matching game. How it works is....how fast can i beat match the song with out making any fine adjustments. My mixing is tighter when i spin on vinyl.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Jack Bastard

Quote Originally Posted by midian View Post
    beat matching is fk'n hard.
    No, it's not. Really.

You just need to practise.

Tech Wizard

beatmatching isn't hard at all. Most people with a little sense of rhythm can learn it in a few hours. The most difficult part is seperating the incoming audio from your left and right ears and keep the tempo info seperated. If you know how to do this it's easy.

yea i only messed with it for about 10 mins but i did manage to beat match one song, but i did learn how to beatmatch with ableton. Easier than i thought, but we had a good 3 hour b2b mix going on.

I am just so ready to get my needles so i can start learning how to beatmatch and the main reason i bought my decks scratching, the midi controller might be put up for a while lol. But i did show the guys the site, and they were really interested in how i used my controller and stuff
    my arsenal:

my 10minmix video

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I never thought beatmatching was hard. The concept was really simple, the application took work.

But I had a friend who owned two technics 1200's, and he had me over a few weekends and taught me how to beatmatch and mix. And then I transitioned to CDs. That knowledge of beatmatching definitely helped my understanding of mixing on digital, and how loops and the such should fit over other sounds.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast