[OT] - Tron Legacy OS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default [OT] - Tron Legacy OS

:eek: Apparently a once-famous helmeted Parisian duo did the OS to this Disney extravaganza. I've seen the movie and listened to the soundtrack, and yes, amongst John William's 'sweeping orchestral soundscapes' (please stop me if you've heard THAT one before) there is the odd little bleep. Certainly no extremely profound lyrics - like 'Around the world' (at least I THINK that's what they 'sing'). It's not punk, it's daft and it's very tedious.
    What am I missing here? :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    What am I missing here?
    The fact that it's a movie score?

Seriously, why in the hell did everyone expect this to be the next Daft Punk album? It's the score to a movie... it's supposed to be something that exists largely in the background. If you're taking immediate notice of a movie's score too often then the composer has failed.
    traktor pro
    numark total control
    numark djiosennheiser hd 205
    toshiba qosmio x505-q885
    windows 7 home premium 64-bit

Yup it's a film score, was never gonna be Ennio Morricone standards anyway.

apart from about 25 mins worth of visual spectacle, the whole tron thing left me pretty cold.

young Jeff Bridges computer face!!?? WTF
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    young Jeff Bridges computer face!!?? WTF
    Uncanny valley, dude, uncanny valley.

Personally, I enjoyed the movie for what it was: Disney eyecandy in latex.

But still... uncanny valley like a motherfucker.
    traktor pro
    numark total control
    toshiba qosmio x505-q885

well maybe (had to google: uncanny valley)

But mostly cause I thought it was a bad CGI job.

I wish movies would stop attempting to make computer graphics of human faces until they can pull it off.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by PIX-1138 View Post
    The fact that it's a movie score?

Seriously, why in the hell did everyone expect this to be the next Daft Punk album? It's the score to a movie... it's supposed to be something that exists largely in the background. If you're taking immediate notice of a movie's score too often then the composer has failed.
    I get you Pix (GREAT avatar) but it IS a DP album, albeit an OS. Why bother then - why not stick with Williams. Has DP sold out to mainstream Disney? It WAS hyped as the next DP. I hear you on what makes a good score, but I was waiting for some (real) DP. Maybe it's my expectations being off mark, rather than DP.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    I get you Pix (GREAT avatar) but it IS a DP album, albeit an OS. Why bother then - why not stick with Williams. Has DP sold out to mainstream Disney? It WAS hyped as the next DP. I hear you on what makes a good score, but I was waiting for some (real) DP. Maybe it's my expectations being off mark, rather than DP.
    Try this: listen to some John Williams scores, then listen to the Tron score. Basically, get yourself "in the mood", as it were, for some movie background music, and then try the Tron score again...

...actually, scratch that. Wait until you have an assignment due for class, if you're in college, or some sort of "work" you need to be doing, and then listen to the Tron score. Scores were made to function in the background, and I find that they make for much more compelling listening experiences when they stay in the background. I listen to scores whenever I'm doing homework, which is a lot, and the Tron score has been making the rounds a lot lately.

Was the score hyped as the next Daft Punk album? It sounds like some shit Disney would do. But that doesn't mean that Daft Punk failed at their task, which was to produce appropriate background music for a movie. You're not supposed to notice it, it's supposed to provide subtle emotional landscaping. If your expectations were built up inappropriately, then maybe it wasn't you or Daft Punk that failed, but rather the money grubbing Hollywood hype machine that will say anything to sell their product.

Sweet Jesus, I just typed a lot without saying anything, didn't I? I should have gone to sleep hours ago. Long story short: give the score a listen as background music and see if that changes your opinion on its execution.
    traktor pro
    numark total control
    toshiba qosmio x505-q885

Sound advice - wildo. I suppose, like most OS's, it lacks something out of context or as a retrospective. Then again, you can listen to Morricone's OS to 'The Mission' and almost relive the movie. As you say - the Disney hype machine can influence.

I thought it was good.

As I recall it, it wasn't hyped as the new Daft Punk album but as the soundtrack made by Daft Punk. And as such, it worked out quite well in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast