....................................internal or external
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default ....................................internal or external

got an s4 for home use at the moment and i'm staring to think about getting gigs. so thinking of getting 2 x1's and mixer probly djm 800

so do u think this is a good idea or should i stick with the s4
    Last edited by bazzfc; 01-11-2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: spelling erior

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

Why not stick with the S4? This way you have everything in one controller.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Tech Guru

why would u do that?
    the S4 is the best all in one u cn get right now.
    out with the old in with the new.
    you are on djtechtools.com asking if u should get rid of ur S4 for the soon-to-be-replaced standard (pioneer cdj and djm).

im curious, what benefits do u think the pioneer setup would have over the s4?

when u play out, youll be using your own equipment, why bother with cdj's?? its not like theyre gonna force u to use cdj's at a club. /end rant. sry
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Quote Originally Posted by HedgeHog View Post
    Why not stick with the S4? This way you have everything in one controller.
    bingo.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Tech Mentor

the type of equipment you use will have nothing to do with getting gigs.
    the s4 is a powerhouse. *so to speak*
    i wouldn't waste another thousand dollars on a mixer that 80% of production companies and clubs already have as a house mixer

Tech Mentor

yeah the s4 is great. now where are u planning on getting gigs at? a club or like a mobile dj kinda thing
    Equipment------
    --HP Dv6T Select Editon. i5 6gb DDR3, backlit keys and touchscreen.

Im moving over to traktor scratch with cdj's and a small midi controller (nanokontrol) because the dj booths of today barely even have enough space for a laptop, let alone something like the s4. Once the new traktor software comes out there will be nothing someone can do on an s4 to set it apart from everything else on the market, apart from the whole "all in one" solution thing. which i personally think is negated by the fact that its massive and a total hassle to set up at any gig. Controllers like the s4 seem like fantastic idea on paper, but in real life situations its not a viable solution. Personally id much rather just come along with my soundcard, laptop and a small midi controller which can go beside the cdj's.

i love my x1. i wish i had 2

fantastic piece of hardware even if you already have an s4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    Im moving over to traktor scratch with cdj's and a small midi controller (nanokontrol) because the dj booths of today barely even have enough space for a laptop, let alone something like the s4. Once the new traktor software comes out there will be nothing someone can do on an s4 to set it apart from everything else on the market, apart from the whole "all in one" solution thing. which i personally think is negated by the fact that its massive and a total hassle to set up at any gig. Controllers like the s4 seem like fantastic idea on paper, but in real life situations its not a viable solution. Personally id much rather just come along with my soundcard, laptop and a small midi controller which can go beside the cdj's.

i would have to agree with the size of the s4, it is in fact wayy to bulky to have set up next to a djm, some technics, cdj's, just to much.
    now for a mobile dj, PERFECT. i used to use the ns7 for doing weddings and parties and shit.

now if you get a residency at a club, then you would have no problem having the s4, or if your gonna play some small time 'raves' and shit, just let the promoter know in advance.

i may have strayed a little OT, ha, i've been awake to long

I didn't read anyone's responses because I don't care.

I have two thoughts on the matter.

1. Pioneer mixers suck. Like, no really…they suck. I know they're used everywhere, which is convenient, because they're really easy to use. But they still suck for the price. I would never buy one to have, and yes…I've played on them.
    2. I like external mixing better. I hate Traktor's gain structure, which means you need either an FOH mixer or external mixing (preferably both). I don't think the EQs sound good compared to real EQs. And I'm starting to think that Vestax makes the best mixers on the planet, though I haven't used a high-end Rane or Urei to any serious degree, nor any boutique brand. Still…I think external mixing is just plain better. It sounds better, it gives better control IMHO, and it lets you set the gain staging so that you don't get ugly digital clipping and you don't have to deal with Traktor's horrible-sounding limiter.

In short…external all the way…just don't use a Pioneer. Great decks…shitty mixers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast